Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jollyroger
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
However ya spell it. Never been down this stretch and found out about this damn dam. Anybody out there gone over it? I'm going mid-april . Heard some things about this thing. Recommended to portage I hear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ran it twice long time ago, far right against the bank. Scout it. It has also been run far left.

Once again.... scout it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
This has to be the Tusher diversion on the Green, but it's above, not below, the town of Green River. There is usually a chute on the far right but a scout is mandatory. It's not a hard place to spot given horizon line and the sound of falling water, even at way low levels. Unfortunately, it's not always runnable - or lineable - depending on flow and size of your rig. Alternatively, you can take out upstream at "Swayze's" beach/rapid, which is only a short drive from Green River (25-30 minutes?).
The plan is still "under consideration." Most popular/probable version includes a boat chute smack in the middle, with possibility of another route on far right as well.

·
Jollyroger
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I should add that I'm putting in at Sand Wash and the plan is taking out I believe Hite by Rt. 95 ? I'm in a 16' Kodiak solo so far and just under 7' from oar tower to tower. I know, I know, it's a frickin monster, but hey! No transportation for me other than float. What, am I insane? Ha Ha !!

·
Sponsoring Vendors
81 Posts
The rehabilitation project should have started this past fall, with work continuing over the winter. I have been asking for updates from the contractors and project partners. The US Fish And Wildlife Service is holding up the project as they evaluate options for installing fish barriers in the canals that the dam serves. Last week, they said:

"Partially because of the stink you and other boaters raised about the boat passage, the NEPA process went slower than anticipated. We are also investigating fish barriers to put in the canal, and were waiting on some data from a similar project before settling on a design. We have to get agreements signed by the canal company in order to install the barrier. Last I heard it will go in this fall."

For more info on the project, check out American Whitewater's Project Update

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
never, not once portaged or even stopped to look at this thing in perhaps 20 trips. We ran everything from paddle boats to pontoons with motors. Never had a single issue with it; line up square and power through. no biggie. We usually ran left or left center; not sure why, but that's what we did. There is? (was) a good sized sand bar below on the left that is a bigger challenge if you don't go right as soon as you clear the bottom of the dam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts