Mountain Buzz banner

how much river water do you swallow in a typical day of boating?

• none

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2 gulps

• over a cup

• don't keep track... already have giardia

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
1,134 Posts
I come from the George Carlin school of immunology.

I splash some in my mouth a lot, and sometimes I drink it willingly (but mostly spit it out).

Let the immune system deal with these things constantly, and it'll be better prepared for the other stuff.

George Carlin's bit was about how none of the kids in his neighborhood got polio because they swam in sewage in the East River. Polio wasn't tough enough once they're immune systems got used to the East...

·
Registered
335 Posts
yah i agree with that theory.I have been disobeying all the rules about food in other countries for years and seldom get sick.While the other gringos get Tourista I am enjoying the yummy street food.Seems like its the sensitive paranoid types that get sick more often,your body acclimates to alot of bacteria.
How can you help but swallow a little unless you held your breath all the time.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
With all the pharmies in effluent (confluence) a good gulp of the 'ol south platte might be just the thing after a long day at the office. mmmmmm reusable pharmaceuticals :shock:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
swallowing not the problem... breathing it in is!

I don't seem to ever swallow river water, even during bad swims. The only river water that I have unintentionally got in me is into my lungs on a bad swim. I came up coughing and sputtering. That sucks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts