Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if any of you have tried tightly suspending your table between the crossbars? I have a campsite counter that is 18" wide and a drop bag that is 20". I would like to be able to use the full 20" of the bag, so if I could suspend the table above it with 4 straps and throw a paco over it, do you think it would be stable enough as a passenger seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
861 Posts
Try using two 4 foot straps looped around the bars to give the table something to rest on. Then use smaller straps to secure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try using two 4 foot straps looped around the bars to give the table something to rest on. Then use smaller straps to secure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Now that's an idea. I bet that would work.

·
Registered
970 Posts
What is your table made of? Regardless of whether its plywood, aluminum, or poly it will eventually bend without using 4-5 straps to disperse the load, which may not be the worst thing. You could also add stiffeners to the bottom side in the form of angle iron or similar, but that's not really a preferred solution. If that extra 2" is really a make or break deal, then you have a couple options that in my opinion are not an improvement, drop bags are not rigid like a rocket box and will somewhat form to its contents. Otherwise I'd consider just leaving it on top of the frame. I don't think you'd notice the difference in storage volume either way.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a Cambridge Welding counter (the ones NRS sells). Ultimately I would like to have 4 tabs put on it like a dry box, not sure how to go about it yet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have that same table. Mine is the smaller 16"X 68". Yours sounds like the 18"X 72".

I don't think it's going to bend if you suspend it. It's 3/4" skid guard supported by a conduit frame. If you are worried drill two more strap holes between the existing ones. That would let you support it on the edges and 3 spots in the middle on each side.

But, I have a drop bag that is wider than my bay. It expands out just like DoStep said. You won't lose any volume. Just leave the table resting on the frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts