Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you all use for suspended floors and passenger board to cover cooler bay. Can you use some type of plastic or something that is less maintenance than wood? Does anyone sell them or do I need to make them my self?

Thanks.

·
addict
743 Posts
Do rafters even try to figure anything out on their own anymore? Don't you have friends who raft?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do rafters even try to figure anything out on their own anymore? Don't you have friends who raft?

I do have a couple friends who raft. Unfortunately they live in another state. And what is the difference between me asking them or posting here? This place has a lot more people on it who can give me a verity of answers. I can then choose which makes most sense to me and go with that option. I did search Google to see if I could find a place that sold them, but came up with nothing. I thought maybe someone here may know of a place.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
DRE in Denver custom cuts plastic for this purpose. It's the same material as a thick cutting board. Probably other shops do the same in your area.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use ACX 5/8 plywood. I hang it from D-rings and or frame. I use spar urethane and it isn't slick and holds up well. Water isn't the issue as much as UV light so keeping your boat shaded when at home is a big deal. I cut my floors tight. That way they don't move. My boats are of the durable variety and I don't worry about things being in contact with the tubes.
There are lots of options for cooler pads. Jacks Plastic Weld and Stitches & Stuff do custom seats. Lots of foam out there. Igloo or Coleman make decent cooler pads. They all will help some with ice retention as well.

Jim

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DRE in Denver custom cuts plastic for this purpose. It's the same material as a thick cutting board. Probably other shops do the same in your area.
Thanks! We will be in Colorado for a couple weeks starting next Thursday. If We can swing through Denver I might stop by and get one.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use ACX 5/8 plywood. I hang it from D-rings and or frame. I use spar urethane and it isn't slick and holds up well. Water isn't the issue as much as UV light so keeping your boat shaded when at home is a big deal. I cut my floors tight. That way they don't move. My boats are of the durable variety and I don't worry about things being in contact with the tubes.
There are lots of options for cooler pads. Jacks Plastic Weld and Stitches & Stuff do custom seats. Lots of foam out there. Igloo or Coleman make decent cooler pads. They all will help some with ice retention as well.

Jim
I am not really looking for a cooler pad at this point, just a board to cover the cooler bay when there is no cooler in it. Just a place for passengers to sit on day trips. Even though our frame came with a seat, I think we are going to ditch it and use the cooler as the rowers seat.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
They do a real custom job to fit it exactly to the bay. They round over the edges and cut slots for straps. If you don't have your frame with I'd make a template out of cardboard so they can do the tricky cuts around the speed rail fittings.

Give them a call before you go. All contact info at Down River Rafts and Equipment

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sorry. Mis understood. I would put a DRE drop bag under there also. I have a friend with a cutting board bench that gets real soft when it gets warm. It may be to thin. Thicker stuff would work though. I have a camp counter made with it and it works good. On three of my frames I have plywood for the same purpose. I find it super easy to make up myself. One has the anti skid coating on it, another I put ethafoam on and the other is just the ply but I always strap a pack pad to it. All have drop bags underneath.

Jim

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Wood and drop bag works great. Make enough holes on one side of the board and attch with straps or heavy zip ties. Then it is a hinged lid and easy access.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Ignore idiot flamers. Learn where you can and just have thick skin. Not everyome gets into boating with existing friends thar boat too. When we started we were clueless and got a ton of rigging help here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
267 Posts
I grabbed a piece of modular closet shelving from Homedepo, the metal kind thats coated in plastic. Cost like 10$ plenty of strapping options, throw a paco over it and boom, it's a bench for day trips.
Like this stuff

Redirect Notice

·
Registered
216 Posts
plastic

The plastic they use is called HDPE, most plastic supply places have it (Laird, Piedmont, Regal, SS plastics) not cheap. for plywood try MDO.

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
Steve - just kayakers being kayakers trolling the rafting forums. You are fine to ask here. Why reinvent the wheel?

The kayakers hate the rafters these days cuz we are still having fun and they are running out of water and you can only post so many times about the play park or yet another rope left in the river by some other dumbass kayaker who didn't retrieve their shit.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Yea why would you ever ask a question. When a troll can take the time to denegrate he gets to feel superior, It has to be hard when you realize that the idiot in the picture is not a picture, but actually a mirror. My thanks to the people that do lend their knowledge to those of us that are not smart enough to figure everything out on our own.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Neat idea.... I wouldn't have thought that would be strong enough. It's holding up OK?
Holding up fine. I strap it with two straps on the bottom. It's really only seen the weight of my little lady and a friend. Who knows what would happen if I had two planets sit on it for a day.. Still cheaper and easier then the whole wood/plastic deal

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have one of these frames and the floor is kind of neat:

San Juan AS™ - Fishing Frames - Frames & Accessories

When I set up the fishing stuff, the floors drop attach to the frame and the other side is attached via a plastic retainer to the front and rear d-rings.

I'm guessing you could probably have DRE build you a square one that attaches to where you want it. Its all aluminum, so it holds up nicely.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Holding up fine. I strap it with two straps on the bottom. It's really only seen the weight of my little lady and a friend. Who knows what would happen if I had two planets sit on it for a day.. Still cheaper and easier then the whole wood/plastic deal
So do you walk on this stuff too? That seems like a failure waiting to happen to me. Not trying to be a downer, but some late night overnighter going for another beer, I'm pretty sure my 240lbs would go fold that shit like a pop can. It's a good idea, just wondering if you've "load tested" it with a worse case scenario.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So do you walk on this stuff too? That seems like a failure waiting to happen to me. Not trying to be a downer, but some late night overnighter going for another beer, I'm pretty sure my 240lbs would go fold that shit like a pop can. It's a good idea, just wondering if you've "load tested" it with a worse case scenario.

Thats why you should ALWAYS wear your PFD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts