Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
You're kidding, right? I've never seen it at a level that looked at all appealing for play. I've tangoed with the edge of it when running the right line at 1700, but never gone in at real water levels.

The hole above Skull Rock may offer some potential at certain levels. I've seen folks who missed the right line go into that hole, and all had some interesting rides. I think a strong playboater might get something out of it at lower levels, but that's the hole above.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't think Skull really forms a hole that would be fun to play in. I'm sure it would be a fun thrashy ride...not much control and a bunch of bouncing around. It would spit you out and you would probably want a pair of nose plugs.

The hole above skull is actually really fun. It has to be a little lower to play in. Last year at 3,000CFS I had a really fun ride. This year at 4500CFS it was more of a wave.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Skull is a good crashing wave to surf at 7500cfs. You have to hike so we usually only took a couple of rides. A so called "good" surf level is a pretty small window. You can play it at low water, but it's kind of shallow and weird. I would just play the downriver line on river right and save your surfing energy for Bowling Alley and Sock it to Me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Does anyone think Skull rapid has changed? I have boated Westwater 25+ times and this month I have gone twice and I think Skull has changed. I know the feature can change at different water levels but at normal late season flows there is no longer a pourover and hole. Yesterday there was no hole but just a curling wave, same thing the week before. If anybody has been there in the past two weeks you can just run the "hole" with no problems. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me.

I think I will have to go this weekend to take another look. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sat. there must have only been about 3,500

because there was barely enough water over the rock to make a hole. I haven't been down much this year but I think the flows aren't what they were before the drought. Skull sure ain't what I've seen it in the past. Bowling alley is great though. I saw the "Durango Crew" camping at the take out, but you didn't get on with us. What happened? Looks like you got on though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sat. there must have only been about 3,500

because there was barely enough water over the rock to make a hole. I haven't been down much this year but I think the flows aren't what they were before the drought. Skull sure ain't what I've seen it in the past. Bowling alley is great though. I saw the "Durango Crew" camping at the take out, but you didn't get on with us. What happened? Looks like you got on though.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Intentionally???

But seriously, Bowling Alley has a great wave at 3500 (current level) and its right below Skull.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've seen the Great & Almighty Chunderboy surf Skull and walk back up to do it again...and again. I think the level was around 3000cfs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts