Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a first hand account of surfing out of toilet bowl in gore above 1000cfs? I have heard legend but everyone I know (including myself) that has gone in surfing has come out swimming. General consensus thus far is that it is impossible. I just want to know if it is possible.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've seen right side runs in a C1 and I've seen folks get tossed a rope and be able to get out but I've seen no one work their own way out. Except by joiningThe Gore Canyon the swim team.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was in there for 8 min day of the Gore Race. Ropes was the only way i could see getting out. I have seen many kayakers and rafts be in there. Never seen either get out. Gore race was my first ride and hopefully my last.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes. Turtle was a .00001%er. I've seen a lot go in and he was the only one I have seen get out. Broke his paddle in the process and then broke another paddle about 3 minutes later in Kbomb. Expensive day and rare day.

I was also there for the YMCA raft ride that last about 15 minutes and took about 8 people to pull out with leverage. Toilet bowl has some serious stick except for turtles.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I recall Hobie saying he surfed out during the race. I think it was in the '05 maybe '04 timeframe? I swam after surfing in there once, basically because after rolling up from a windowshade or two all I could think of was "no one ever surfs out of toilet bowl, its pointless to try..."

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've never seen any one surf out. But I watched D.hippie have a bad boof there last week and get stuck straight pointing down and paddle his ass off. It took him a good 15-20 secs but he got out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow Turtle,
So it is possible... just really really difficult. Was it just luck or did you have a long beatdown and some serious stamina?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I've heard the turtle legend, but that's the only time I've heard about someone getting out. I've seen enough bad swimmer recircs (out of boat) that if I end up in there again, I'm holding my breath and pulling immediately. It terminates in a pool after all (just watch out for the sieve below it).

I believe Rolf paddled back in there intentionally once and he ended up pulling. Legend has it that he has a 4 minute breath hold, so if he can't get out, not sure who can.

The craziest thing I ever saw there was one of those riverboarders,aka dick-draggers. He went right for the meat line, just plugged in with little speed and I thought, "Oh no, he's going to... swim?" The guy was right there in the gut of the hole. He reached downstream with his board, and just kept kicking with his fins and he just slowly worked his way out to the boil line and out of the hole.

It made me wonder if there was a way I could somehow fit my feet into the boat with fins on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've taken the sneak far left, boofed left center and the center no problem, but took the sneak last week - got a little stuck pushed off with my paddle and like a tractor beam it pulled me from the far left straight into the hole. Didn't seem to care that I was frantically paddling or that the group was screaming in terror. Handed me my ass and broke my 500 dollar paddle. CFS was 1280. Gonna take that rapid a lil more serious from now on. The river gods have spoken.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've taken the sneak far left, boofed left center and the center no problem, but took the sneak last week - got a little stuck pushed off with my paddle and like a tractor beam it pulled me from the far left straight into the hole. Didn't seem to care that I was frantically paddling or that the group was screaming in terror. Handed me my ass and broke my 500 dollar paddle. CFS was 1280. Gonna take that rapid a lil more serious from now on. The river gods have spoken.

I bet u were using a shitty AT paddle

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input. I hung in there for quite some time until my paddle was ripped from my hands. It seems possible but very difficult. I guess I am just a sally who cant hang with you crazy toilet bowl surfers... yet? Either way keep that boof strong center left!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts