Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited Kelly's Whitewater Park in August. The level was about 2300 cfs. It is now at 800 cfs. Does anyone know which waves (if any) are still OK at lower levels? Or does it get too shallow?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Thats the one in Cascade right? I was there two weeks ago. If the flows are the same now, then there is a something there. It was my first time there so, wish I could help out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if anyone does go and can give me feedback on the levels I would really appreciate it. It is a 12 hour drive for me so I wouldn't want to venture that far if there is nothing to surf. From what I understand they have positioned the rocks so it is surfable at any level. I will anxiously await replys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Don't drive 12 hours! Go for a bike ride. TBH, I think the changes that were made during the 10-11 winter screwed up the top wave. It was great at 4000 and quite lame at 2000. Before that 2000 was pretty cool. There needs to be some reworking of that feature. I would suspect that there is nothing to be had up top at the current flow and not much more than a riffle on the lowers. Seeing you are from "BC, CA" you can't tell me that you can't find something better to paddle there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL...just what I was planning today. Climbing this morning, then biking this afternoon with friends. There is nothing left to paddle within 4 hrs of where I live and certainly no park n' play. If I was to go to Kelly's I would make a holiday of it...not just drive there specifically for paddling. Gotto say though...I really enjoyed playboating on a consistant wave. The top wave was a sticky hole at the levels we were there. Very few went in it and those who did got totally thrashed. The middle wave was best.
One of the rangers said the park was designed to be surfable anywhere fromm 200cfs to 4000cfs. I just found that hard to believe so I just thought I would ask for feeback from anyone that may have been there at low water.
Have a nice day buzzer's.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Perhaps unsurprisingly, none of the park staff actually paddle. From my experience, the middle feature is good but shallow down to about 1100. You might be able to front surf something at 200, but it's not even worth the drive from Boise let alone BC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One of the rangers at Kelly's paddles, he just doesn't get out a ton. The top feature is more dynamic now then it was last year, but I do miss the bigger wave that formed on the shoulder. I think once they get the 3rd feature (2nd on the left channel) reworked this Winter it will be really good. That being said, I haven't been out there this low, but I would not drive 12 hours for it.

- Matt

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't know why people don't like the 3rd feature... it's not as friendly or versatile as the middle feature, but it's fun as heck to side surf, spin, and otherwise practice your skillzzz.

I'm not the best surfer in the world, so maybe that's why I like it... but no one ever seems to surf it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the 3rd feature and always surf it for at least a bit when I am out there, but the problem is that it has so much angle it forces you to surfer left or out of the feature all together. You can spin and get the occassional blunt if you work for it, but more than likely you are sideways facing surfer right fighting to stay in it. From what I heard they are supposedly going to try and reduce that angle and make it more uniform (possibly more green) so not only kayakers can surf it but surfers can too.

- Matt

·
Registered
539 Posts
True.

At certain levels it gets so sticky you have to really dig yourself out, but it's almost always a side-surf and carve wave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts