Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been surf kayaking – or just surfing – in Ireland? I’m going to be there the first week of May and want to get in the ocean. I would guess that the west coast would be the best, but I don’t know much about it. I have an Irish buddy who is going to try and hook me up with some of his buddy that surf kayak over there, but I’m looking for as much info as I can find about rentals, beaches / breaks, seasons, locals, etc.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Spencer, in Dublin its hard to go wrong for info simply because it's the biggest town over there. I didn't get to boat when I was there but I do remember running into several boaters and seeing boats on cars and decks etc. I think there is a mountaineering store in the temple district that can give you some more info but have fun in erie!

·
Super Moderator
4,103 Posts
The world championships were held in Ireland last September.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Spenser,
I lived in Dublin for a few years and the boating is great. I don't know what water levels are like right now. It pretty much has to be raining to boat. If I was heading out to surf I would head to a town on west coast called Lahinch. At least when I lived in Ireland they tended to have good surf there. There's also a great pub that I can't remember the name of, but they don't care if you're pretty manky from boating and it's a great place to warm up. The shop that I remember is called the Great Outdoors Head up Grafton Street towards Steven's Green when you get to the top of the street (it's a pedestrian mall) The shop is on a side street to your right if you're facing the green (and it's still there after 7 or years.) The college I went to is at the bottom of the street (trinity) They're kayaking club's web page is :http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/Canoe/ you might be able to get hold of someone to meet up with to paddle. Also, you can search for the Irish Canoe Union web page which might be of some help. BTW, they call kayaks Canoes, so don't be confused. There is great surfing in Kerry as well (SW part of the country.) But Lahinch is great fun. IF you're going there, stop and run Ennistimon Falls... ( I don't remember how to spell it, but it's in a town on the way and about 400 yards of super fun in the middle of a town.) If you're really interested, I think I still have the Irish whitewater guidebook somewhere.

Good luck and have a great time,
Kate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts