Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SUPper's:

I am looking at buying an inflatable SUP and was looking for some feedback before I drop the cash.

Which ones do you like? I am looking for a board to use mostly on the river but also will surf it in the ocean from time to time.

I have seen the ULI's, Saturn's, and Sevylor's. What other's are out there and what do you like/dislike?

Thanks,
Mut

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you don't really need the inflatable part (for ease of transport?) then I think what my buddy did is the best idea: get a free or dirt cheap obsolete sailboard off of Craig's list. I guess the whole problem is that they are huge and hard to store and carry around but why not? Throw it in the backyard. You won't be wanting to take that log to California with you but how many times are you really going to want to surf SUP in the ocean? That could get ugly. SUP in the ocean should require a license... but I digress.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought the Sevylor and love it, I was concerned with dropping almost a grand on something I wasnt sure myself or my grilfriend would like. for the money I believe I got the biggest bang for my buck, look around you can find a deal for sure!It awesome that it rolls up in a bag with the pump and paddle attaches to the bag-great for traveling...
lastly, I would caution using a sailboard, you wont get the rocker upfront you will need on a river. its designed for a lake/sea being pulled by a sail... you will see when you start using the board that there is a difference, and they are not as durable as a inflatable SUP.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so far.
I'm not inclined to go the windsurfer route. I am looking for an inflatable so I can travle with it and for when the kids play on it they are not bouncing off epoxy resin.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have also been wondering about which SUP board might be the sweet. I know that I've seen the Sevylor (sp?) online for around a g. I did find the Saturn brand one with a bag and a paddle on Amazon for around $400. $400 tastes a lot better than a grand....though I still wonder if the inflatables are going to be as stable as a rigid board?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I want to say I paid like 600 for the(sevylor) board and paddle, I hear that, tastes way better than G.
I also understand that a rigid board carves better but the stability is essentially the same. Also its important to make sure it has some rocker upfront so the board doesnt dig in..
my 2 cents..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yup. Googled it.

You're right. I found the Sevylor on multiple sites for right around six hundred. The thing I want to know is why out of the 5 or 6 brands out there I can see, that all of them besides the Sevylor and the Saturn are around a thousand dollars. I saw the 12' Saturn without a paddle for $350, shipping included. Why are these two so DRASTICALLY cheaper than all the others? You say you dig the stability of the Sevylor?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The only reason I suspect its that low on cost is because they are a newr company, They also make cheaper priced rafts.. I havent actually seen the saturn board yet.
the sevylor is stable as a board can be.. 30 inches wide.

Here on the buzz i have seen a few negative comments about Saturn, there not usually from peoples experience seem more about the cost and they wouldnt trust them, but there are also alot of positive comments, I would think for 350 its gotta be ok at least to start, then progress upwards.

·
Registered
807 Posts
what up Mut? I have a Kona Board and my family and I had a ton of fun on it last year. Here is my review: Mike Harvey's SUP Review | Colorado Kayak Supply Blog

I just tried out the Isup from C4 waterman last weekend and I think that is going to be my next board. I am a big fan of the inflatables for travel and versatility. Just like you I go everywhere now with a gaggle of kids in tow and the inflatable boards are so friendly for my kids and their buddies to play with.

Cheers Bro!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get the need for portability hence the inflatable thing. Just a shame you have to go that way--they are dogs in the water and therefore likely rob you of a lot of fun. I have kids too (and one SUP's with me). Just do like the rest of us and throw stuff on the roof (and every nook and cranny in the SUV). If you are shooting for a $350 board you are asking for trouble. They are garbage (unless you can get a used based up one on Craig's list that is a better model). These things are ridiculously expensive but, what are you going to do? That's the deal with water sports. A decent rig is gonna cost $1,450.00. Way it is.

I have a C4 and it's OK but not great BUT that's because I got the 'cheaper' 2-layer layup version and it dings just by looking at it. Two other boards that I have that have really payed-off (not sure if you can get them where you are) are the NSP 10'6" and also an 11'6" SouthPoint (EXCELLENT board). Not sure about banging these boards off rocks and stuff but I have surfed them in river swell, ocean surf (they are better than long boards for that--you have to use restraint and not catch every wave!), and lake-like conditions and they are a really good time. Do it!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I get the need for portability hence the inflatable thing. Just a shame you have to go that way--they are dogs in the water and therefore likely rob you of a lot of fun.
I agree however you live in Florida and Mut lives in Colorado. On our rocky rivers the inflatables make a lot of sense when the straightline speed and performance in the surf are not high priorities. Also if you take one along on a multi-day river trip, then you need to be able to deflate it and throw it on the back of a raft when you are making miles.

If you want one to rip the river surf here in Colorado check out my buddy Zack's Badfish Chubby Stick:

I just got mine. This board was born and raised here in Salida, Colorado and Zack spent 2 years prototyping boards that would surf our dumb little river waves. He came up with regular surf boards and this his first foray into SUP. It is based on the same design principals that he developed for his river surf boards. If you are interested PM me and I will get you hooked up with Zack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts