Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I was reading the thread below about the hole at Sunshine and some opinions about ratings. Having run it in a canoe several times there are days when I thought it was easy class III and others when it ate my lunch and was IMHO a class V bad boy.

Fortunately my opinion is not the deciding factor. We don't have to wonder about the rating of Sunshine, Pine Creek or Zoom Flume. The people who made up the rating system (AW) told us all what they are.

Zoom Flume is class III+ @ 1,000 cfs and IV- @ 2,500.

Sunshine is class IV @ 2,000

Pine Creek is class 5.0 @ 1,500.

These are not my ratings. It is perfectly fine if any paddler choses to make up his own system but when using the AW system we might want to stay consistant.

Chris Kelly

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Yep, that answered all my questions. Lets put this debate to bed fellows/gals. Whew, glad this over.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just returned from a road trip and can confirm very little run off in southern Utah.

It sounds like smack talk is the norm now on the Buzz, but the logical responders are all in agreement that the the historic ratings are close.

I admit I bought into the bate and flamed this a bit. It is a sticky hole, and every level of boater that has been init knows that it is sticky. Throwing up a warning was cool of the original poster.

The thead by count was on point. Learning muych of my boating on the front range, I'm alot more comfortable in a creeky five than in a big water four. Alot of it is what your accustomed to.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Hi all. I was reading the thread below about the hole at Sunshine and some opinions about ratings. Having run it in a canoe several times there are days when I thought it was easy class III and others when it ate my lunch and was IMHO a class V bad boy.

Fortunately my opinion is not the deciding factor. We don't have to wonder about the rating of Sunshine, Pine Creek or Zoom Flume. The people who made up the rating system (AW) told us all what they are.

Zoom Flume is class III+ @ 1,000 cfs and IV- @ 2,500.

Sunshine is class IV @ 2,000

Pine Creek is class 5.0 @ 1,500.

These are not my ratings. It is perfectly fine if any paddler choses to make up his own system but when using the AW system we might want to stay consistant.

Chris Kelly
I don't think anyone is trying to creat a new system (aside from better detailing) some just want MORE consistency. Rivers get rated by people, not the AW & a lot goes into why folks think different runs need to be rated at whatever they rate them at.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
i go off the bible

i go off what the bible says same dude same rating right? stick with the bible "colorado rivers and creeks"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts