Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the weather, I would guess Dowd should be running about 500 Sunday -- does that sound right?

I've never run Dowd, and I'm jonesing to get off the Arkansas this weekend. I'm comfortable on the Numbers, but would like a change of scenery.

Would two laps on Dowd or a Dowd-plus-the stretch below it type of day be worth the drive from Colorado Springs on Sunday?
If so, is there anyone out there (preferably, but not necessarily with Dowd experience) who would like to run it Sunday?

-Mike G.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dowd will easily be 500-600 cfs at Avon gauge (2 ft) by this Sunday. An easy fun level. If you are comfortable on the Numbers you can float this backwards at this flow. It starts to get more serious at 4ft (1500 cfs). The stretch right below the chute ("River Run" apartments) will have rocks and little slides to play around. As far as going to Avon (bob's bridge @ hurd lane) you might get a little bored at this flow, but worth it due to your drive. 2 laps on Dowd then take 'er on down??

have fun

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you make it up on Sunday, give a ring. Going to head out on the Mountain for closing day in the afternoon but would be up for a late morning run through the Chute.

I'll PM ya my cell number.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i was going to run dowd on sunday. my wife is working on the mtn, so i am trying to kill the day. a couple laps could be done in 2-3 hours, and a float down to avon would add another 2 hours. the run down to avon is a class below dowd, but it is relatively scenic with a fair amount of rock dodging.

i will PM you my cell number. i am open for the day, but would prefer to be on the water before lunch. hope to see you sunday.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Do you guys think it will be too low to get a raft down to Avon if it is around 500? It's supposed to warm up for the weekend, maybe it will get a little higher.

·
Registered
511 Posts
White Lightning.....i know you already know the answer to that. Wishfull thinking though !!!! many sharp, barely covered sleepers in there.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alrighty --

Phillip and I, and I think Mike, are planning on meeting at the ranger station between 10:30 and 11 Sunday morning.

Thanks for the help, guys ...

-Mike Griffin

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
EndoMADness,

what about R2 in a superpuma? At least WL could get wet...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts