Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all 😁. I’m new to rafting, or well, trying to be, and planning a trip for somewhere between mid-July to mid-Aug. I’m just finishing up Ortho residency and after 9 years of intense post-grad training, I’m ready to start putting effort back into living actual life again... after I sit for boards July 14th, that is 😅

In any case, it’s too late to get onto permitted rivers, and I have little interest in guided tours. I plan to get a 15’ raft together, and go with my significant other for something in the 4-8 day range, preferably with fishing. Obviously being a beginner I don’t want to get into class V areas, and maybe not even class IV. Lastly, I’m based out of Ohio, and willing to travel anywhere if I have to, but obviously the closer the better. Also, I’ll have to figure out how to get the raft and gear to wherever I’m going; probably shipping freight and assembling on-site, but if anybody has any better ideas I’d love to hear them.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It's a long ways from you so I would not put in at the traditional put in which is hammer creek... I would go all the way up to vinegar or Carey... vinegar if you want to run vinegar rapid. This could add 3 days to your trip stretching it to a 7 day float give or take... the first 3 days would be roadside.

·
Registered
554 Posts
North Fork of the Flathead, though it would be bony up higher. You could run it all the way to the lake, if you don’t mind a bunch of flat water. The fishing would probably make up for it.
The Yellowstone from Gardiner to ??? It’s also a good fishing trip, WW the first day, occasional rapids after that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’d definitely say that if you plan on making rafting a part of your life, I’d just suck it up and buy a trailer. Fooling around with your rig before a big trip is half the fun.
There are tons of great rivers in OH/PA/WV, but the best boats for enjoying those aren’t always the best for enjoying big multi-day rivers.
Do you know what kind of boating you’re primarily hoping to do?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Green river A, B and C sections. All the way to the Ladore put in. You could easily stretch it to 4 days. Some of the best fishing around plus 3 distinct eco systems. Steep canyon first more open canyon second and cottonwood flats the rest of the way. Not very far to The Snake in Wyoming if you wanted to stretch it out for a few more days. Head back to Ohio from Jackson Hole. I agree with Roseldo, buy/borrow/rent a trailer. You will not be sorry about having your own rig.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you are a rookie stay the hell away from anything even approaching a IV. Class III max and the Green fits the bill nicely. Do you have any time on the oars at all? If not III will be pushing your limits. Be safe And have fun. You have earned it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Missouri River Breaks?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just remember to put the correct end of the oar into the water!

Sorry, just gotta poke fun at you Orthopods 😅 I'm in general surgery

Congrats on finishing residency! That's a huge accomplishment and definitely reason to go celebrate on the water

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d definitely say that if you plan on making rafting a part of your life, I’d just suck it up and buy a trailer. Fooling around with your rig before a big trip is half the fun.
There are tons of great rivers in OH/PA/WV, but the best boats for enjoying those aren’t always the best for enjoying big multi-day rivers.
Do you know what kind of boating you’re primarily hoping to do?
I’d like to do a lot of day trips fishing. Around here day trips are easy enough to find. And then also multi day rapids, eventually up to class IV. I have a trailer I could easily modify to fit a raft, I just figured I don’t want too much of the 14 day trip driving. But if I could find somewhere relatively close I guess I can bust out the welder and do the trailer build.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is becoming quite the trend, first-time boaters hitting the river solo. It used to be if you wanted to do something, you jumped in with people who knew what to do, and progressed from there. Now we have YouTube educating a whole new generation of river warriors. Powered by pandemic insanity, this has turned river use statistics upside down.

In 2020, river fatalities sharply increased while fatalities among skilled boaters actually decreased. Last year there were 48 recreational boating fatalities on America's rivers, which is well above average. As always, the prominent factor was not wearing a PFD but a new overarching theme appeared --inexperience.

This post isn't really directed at the OP. Boni is clearly a smart guy who knows how to think on his feet. That said, I believe he will find greater satisfaction if he bones-up on his new hobby before embarking on a 4-8 day adventure. Rafting is not a turnkey sport. Showing up at a boat ramp with a pile of gear does not transform a person into an oarsman. This is not car camping. Negotiating moving water requires a skillset that is built over time. It is not complicated, but it is essential.

I've put a lot of new boaters on river but I would NEVER send a new boater out alone, and with federally permitted runs, is actually illegal. Solo boating is the realm of lifestyle boaters who are also familiar with the reach they intend to run. So here's my advice: get a boat and get in with peeps who know how to run river. Do some trips with them and find your groove.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all 😁. I’m new to rafting, or well, trying to be, and planning a trip for somewhere between mid-July to mid-Aug. I’m just finishing up Ortho residency and after 9 years of intense post-grad training, I’m ready to start putting effort back into living actual life again... after I sit for boards July 14th, that is 😅

In any case, it’s too late to get onto permitted rivers, and I have little interest in guided tours. I plan to get a 15’ raft together, and go with my significant other for something in the 4-8 day range, preferably with fishing. Obviously being a beginner I don’t want to get into class V areas, and maybe not even class IV. Lastly, I’m based out of Ohio, and willing to travel anywhere if I have to, but obviously the closer the better. Also, I’ll have to figure out how to get the raft and gear to wherever I’m going; probably shipping freight and assembling on-site, but if anybody has any better ideas I’d love to hear them.

Any suggestions?
alberton gorge of the clark fork river, mt. day trip
moyie river, north idaho, day trip
grande ronde river, west of enterprise, oregon two or 3 day trip
main salmon river, idaho (permit needed but easy out of season) 5 to 7 day trip a little tougher.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
In order to be eligible for cancellations, you need to have participated in that permitted river’s lottery.
I just put in Deso and could have flipped the switch...I did not participate in the lottery
Other rivers ????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.