Mountain Buzz banner

Suggestions for intro paddleboard

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  brendodendo 
#1 ·
We have about $750 to spend on our first family stand up paddle board. Definitely want inflatable. Really it's mostly for my wife, but I'd like to use it a little also. Primary use will be on lakes, but we do have a DRE fishing raft and I'd like to tow the SUP with us on some upper Colorado and other mellow floats.

Using it in the river, I know we want 6" thickness. Been looking at Tower and Isle brands online. Any other suggestions for brands? Anything I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Check out Hala out of Steamboat. The Straight Up is a great all around board that we have used A LOT. I like the Jackson SUPerCharger. It's a hardshell, so not as transportable as an inflatable, but more durable IMO. There is also a board called the SUPSquatch made by C4 Waterman, which would be a perfect party barge for the Upper C if you can shell out the dough. There have been some SUPSquatch sightings on the Poudre in the last couple years...

#3 ·
NRS Earl 6 Inflatable SUP Board - Closeout at nrs.com

Earl 6. One of the better 10'6ish board shapes on the market and I haven't seen a single inflatable SUP that comes anywhere close to NRS' warranty.

But no inflatables are great. Try paddling a hard board side by side with an inflatable and you'll want a hard board. Everyone thinks they're gonna roll it up and stuff it in their trunk every time, but it just doesn't happen since they're such a PITA to inflate. Most people end up leaving them inflated 90+% of the time, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Look at the Glide SUPs out of SLC. Almost indestructible and made in the USA. They're also making inflatables this year (not sure if they're made in the US or not).

https://www.riversports.com/rs/manufacturer/95/Glide

#4 ·
Check out the Astro Stream. It's bad ass. I like it as much as any hard board contrary to what the poster above said. They're kind of expensive - retail for $1500 but I found one on sale for $900 and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#7 ·
I was in your situation a couple of years ago and ended up with a 10' ISUP. I weigh about 175-180 with all my gear which is probably a lot more than your wife. I would definitely not go longer than 10 feet if you want to spend any time in the river. My board is less than 6" thick and it's plenty stable.
Cheers

#9 ·
All great tips, thanks everyone. I think we're going with this one:
http://tinyurl.com/mxuara3

A little longer than 10 feet, 6 inches thick, 15psi, 32 inches wide - seems like a good all around shape, a good price, and gets good reviews. If we're ready to get rad in another couple summers, we'll max the credit card and get a hala or badfish or c4, etc. :)

See you on the water...

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.