Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with Mike at Wet Dreams River Supply last weekend and the conversation got turned off rafts and turned on to SUP. He told me he just got a board and was really enjoying it. I never really considered SUP would be for me, but now I am reconsidering it.

With still needing more equipment for the raft and hoping to move to CO next year for guide school/job, I won't be able to afford an actual SUP setup for quite a while. I just found out yesterday about street SUP. Now I know this isn't the same as actually being on the water, but does it work the same muscles in the same way as an actual SUP?

I use to enjoy my Sector 9 long board before it was stolen, and I figure I can pick up a used long board and street paddle for a couple hundred. So wat are your thoughts on street SUP? Any suggestions on boards/paddles?

·
Registered
312 Posts
haha. that is bad ass. .....

and thanks for humoring me Steve! you just became my favorite mountain buzzer. cheers! good luck on Quest for SUP!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I haven't tried it, but the muscle group use looks like it would be similar and a lot of that would depend on how much effort you put into using good form (much like any other paddling pursuit). You could mix in some good old fashioned foot kicking or tic-taking too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't tried land paddling, but I know for it to mimic SUP closely you need a specific board. If you use a normal longboard you'll be forced to stay in "surf stance". If you get one that's super wide you can paddle with your feet side-by-side like you would on a SUP.

The other thing that I'm not sure about, is the difference in the paddle strokes. With water SUP the paddle goes into the water. With land SUP the paddle cannot go into the ground, so I'd expect it to behave differently.

A lot of people make their own land paddles for cheap. I'd say make a paddle, borrow a longboard, and give it a shot!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have done some land paddling, my opinion is it's kind of fun....but not very similar to paddling in terms of training. You basically push off the ground like a push pole on a fishing skiff or something. Not very close to the motion of the catch and stroke of paddling.

Buttons makes it look cool though, eh?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts