Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on raft flip strategies. I'm thinking of an 18 footer oar rig in big deep water. Not a shallow water, or up against an obstruction scenario.
Your boat is going over.....do you try to stay with the boat or try to jump clear of it?
I was always thinking that if you try to jump clear you may put yourself in more harms way as a boat frame and oars potentially now have lots of momentum as they come down on top of you?
Versus if you were able ( maybe you can't ) to stay holding onto the boat, then you are flipping with and moving at the same speed as the frame and oars so maybe don't receive the same potential trauma?

·
Beginner
2,603 Posts
Extra long flip lines in bags on the frame can be thrown to aid in recovery from the current. Longer than the ones they sell.

Also, what you're asking about isn't realistic. I've flipped fast and flipped slow, but never have I had time to think about successfully "jumping" away from the boat. If your boat is full of hard objects you should wear a helmet if there's a chance of flip, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
4,369 Posts
What Randaddy says. When you flip fast, you're in the water before you know it. When you flip slow, you're highsiding up until that moment you're in the water. Wear a helmet because you'll be going over with frame, oars flapping around, and other stuff. Wear a flip line around your waist to help flip the boat back over, and hope you've got some friends around - with that size boat, you're not going to get it over very easily by yourself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you don’t have flip lines on the sides make sure you have your rescue throw and a few biners and slings handy (or a full on z drag kit) and accessible. I keep a light flip line and binder in my pfd also…comes in handy for all types of shit. All the gear boat flips I’ve been involved with were pretty abrupt and I landed were I landed. I can tell you in big pushy continuous water, you want to stay with or close to the boat but it’s not always your choice. Another note, always watch oars that are leashed on….especially when flipping back upright if they are out of the locks and ESPECIALLY if you don’t have a helmet. Seen that shit go wrong. Hope this helps and chances are you’ll modify your plan of action after having experienced this stuff based on the experience. Safe lines, good luck man

·
Registered
62 Posts
…..I have witnessed a loaded 16’ be righted in the middle of river on the fly by 2 (large) guys getting on top of the capsized boat and each clipping in and simultaneously executing the normal self rescue method of pulling it over…but it took them several tries and there was a lot of grunting…..

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

That's a great on river flip in the clutch.

Our argument is always over which way to flip the boat once corralled when using mechanical advantage, also seen some cool shore moves. We flipped a fully loaded 17 foot cat w/flip lines using 5 guys, a lot quicker than setting shit up.

Edit: Sorry for the thread jack as not what OP asked about. Been on but not rowing two raft/cats that flipped and either high siding or no time. Best ever was watching a buddy miss a line in Lava and his passenger straight up bail and jump out of his boat before flipping, which he did...

·
Registered
62 Posts
For sake of transparency, I’ve never dealt with a loaded 18’ flip. I imagine it’s not going back over on the fly in current. Your never going to regret having a simple(or a very nice) z drag kit aboard. Great for pins and wraps also.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Here is the full video of my flip in Hermit and us righting my 14er in a few years ago. I had no time to jump but came up right next to the boat and my wife was only a few swim strokes away.
#11 will get you every time! That particular 'wave' is new to the Hermit rapid maybe about 10-15(something shifted in the rapid) years ago and should be avoided. I normally try to go left of it but if the current wants to go right that works too! Looks like you were rigged to flip and your gear looked good!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I rowed a 20' cat that -- had it ever flipped -- would have required a huge effort to right. So I carried, in a box strapped to the outside of the rear frame crossbar, a Maasdam rope puller.

Never used it on my rig, but did on a fully loaded, very top-heavy 18 footer that flipped on the Grand, in a situation where there were not enough able-bodied people available to rig multiple z-drags. Highly effective.

Rich Phillips

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
I rowed a 20' cat that -- had it ever flipped -- would have required a huge effort to right. So I carried, in a box strapped to the outside of the rear frame crossbar, a Maasdam rope puller.

Never used it on my rig, but did on a fully loaded, very top-heavy 18 footer that flipped on the Grand, in a situation where there were not enough able-bodied people available to rig multiple z-drags. Highly effective.

Rich Phillips
I carry one of those as well, along with 300 ft of static line. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.. was also key to pulling a loaded Dory up onto the beach using beach rollers, made it super easy

Reactions: BenSlaughter
1 - 20 of 33 Posts