Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is the rafting section, but bare with me.

My GF will paddle her Tomcat ll on most rivers other than MF or Selway and then we don't even bring it along. On some days though, if it's rainy and cold, or if we bring the dogs (of which one of them is blind), she'll ride on the cat and we've got to dingy or strap the Ik onto the cat. The Tomcat II is 12' long and if we strapping it on for the day, we fold it semi-inflated in half and strap it on the back. It's a bit of a pita.

We discussed it on our Main trip last week, which was the rainiest Main trip we've ever been on and decided that we need a shorter IK that is suitable for that level of whitewater that we could just strap on without all of the folding rigamaroll.

So, we're looking for recommendations on an IK from folks that may have had a similar experience.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They both look like the ticket, but damn. Pricey little suckers. We need to sell some chit.

·
Registered
312 Posts
NRS OUTLAW is 675.... if you are looking for a bargain..... IMO though nothing really compares to the SOTAR. I have been pddling a 10 ft sotar and LOVE it!!! Sporty like a hardshell in terms of effortless maneuvering. its fun to paddle like a real kayak. not like a barge.... I am now trading in for an 11 ft SOTAR which is a better fit for bigger guys...

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you like the Tomcat II except for the size, a Tomcat I seems like an obvious option (and not expensive). Certainly the Aire Lynx I is a classic and popular step up. The suggested Aire Force is seen as the most hardshell-like, but I don't know if that is what your wife is looking for.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ooops GF not wife!
If strapping on for the day, I'd completely deflate and roll -- even a smaller IK.
But, as far as a recco, it might help to know what your GF is looking for in an IK? (for example, stability? maneuverability?).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input folks. The Force, Lynx, and Sotar SL look sweet, but I should have mentioned that my GF's middle name is frugal, so $15-2000 on an IK is out of the question. Plus, we're getting ready to drop some serious change on custom cat tubes from Sotar. So, it's going to be another used one or possibly a Tomcat Solo. Her choice of course, but the suggestions gives her something to look for. She can sniff out a deal like you won't believe.

Johnovice. No worries, we've been together for 10 years and I sometime use the "w" word when it might seem appropriate. :)

Yes, chicks dig purple, but the ATV/BMX IKs look a little goofy IMO.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not exactly the info your looking for but... My inflatable SUP docks between the tubes of my cat when not in use, super convenient, it also adds some floatation functioning as a "third tube". Run class IV this way no problem. Depending on your cat, your tomcat may fit, have to have some high clearance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a tomcat 1 and tributary strike solo, both are alittle smaller but I have ran them across my stern just fine, sure it hangs over, but not in the way of oars. I would possibly be interested in trade for a double if your looking into that. PM if your interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts