Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Catalytic converter sawed off at the takeout here in doo-dah,Middle-of-nowhere,kansas. Any other unfortunate boaters with similar experiences.:(

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
They're going after the Platinum in the converter, Happens around here(GWS) sometimes when the meth heads need $20.00

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
ha ha, im so sorry that happened, that sucks, but i gotta say.....thats pretty funny. i never even knew this was a problem??

·
Registered
844 Posts
You got to be kidding! That has to be the most idiotic thing for someone to steal. What is there more then a few grams of precious metal in there! I bet the stainless steel exhaust on my Corrado is worth more for the steel. No real way to protect it and who would think? Hopefully it will not cost you a lot to replace it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I might be able to get you a really cheap catalytic converter... my buddy Jared is a mechnic in Kansas...

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, he's actually sort of revolted by the idea of nudist activities, but we've been friends since we were kids so he puts up with it.

George

·
Registered
226 Posts
^ does he work on cars in the nude?
You couldn't help yourself, eh? I guess someone had to say it. :p

So long as Boofington is being cool, I think so should we. I'm a climber and a skier, but a boater first and I think the boating community is the coolest bunch of folks out there.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nope, nudists are cooler. It's the breeze on your undercarriage...displaces a lot of heat.

I can get you a cat converter cheap, too. Now where did I put that hack saw...

·
Registered
30 Posts
It was a legitimate question. I'm very enthusiastic about nudism as a lifestyle. Alot of my close friends are nudists....

Disclaimer*

*Very DRunk

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I had the catalytic converter and O2 sensors stolen off of my car in West Virginia. Some skinny crack head needed a buzz, never-mind the $500+ it cost me! A lot of this is organized crime. You steal a truck, run it through a chop shop, and give crack heads a sawzah and cash up front for as many as they can grab. Then you and your friends smash them open and collect thousands of dollars in platinum and rhodium from a scrap metal recycler. There are no serial numbers on the metal itself so it's virtually untraceable. This is getting more and more common as precious metals get more expensive. The sheriff told me that Toyota 4-runners are the most common targets because of the large converter and the fact that you can practically walk under the thing to do your work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
For sale:

Catalytic converter, slightly used. Asking $20.00 or trade for some meth.

Can meet on Kansas roadside near river.

Vehicle match is guaranteed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Theiving tweekers must die!

Fu'n tweeks, the lowest smear of bile--I just heard about this the other day. I guess they're getting a good bit of cash for those things at the recycling centers because of the heavy metals. Can't remember for sure but it ain't no measly twenty bucks. I don't know if catalytics have serial numbers, but I'm gonna check mine. Does anyone know a way to rig enough voltage to the body of a vehicle while unattended that it lay somebody out? Signed, shoot tweekers in the face.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Weld on steel cover

A buddy just came up with an idea: Go to your local welding shop & ask if they can make a piece of half of a 1/4 inch large diameter steel pipe w/ a flat bar tacked to each side which can be drilled to bolt to your undercarraige over the cat. Tight enough fit that they couldn't just slide the whole pipe & cat out one end or another beacuse of the angle. They allways have tons of scrap to make stuff with, & charge way less than some pre-manufactured part would cost. It would take forever to get through, so they'll just leave it alone. Or @ a 4 wheel drive shop. If you're fortunate enough to see someone under your truck when going to install, you can bash their head in with it. (I know this is supposed to be a nicey-nice community, but theives/tweekers/wannabe gangsters don't count as people, just varmints, & should be treated as such)

·
Registered
648 Posts
FYI on the $20, it's a lot more they're getting

Catalytic Converter Theft on the Rise
12:23 a.m. EDT, April 01, 2008
Modern automotive thieves have become increasingly savvy, usually passing up the entire car in favor of taking the catalytic converter, the device that has a crucial role in emissions control and that contains metals far more precious than gold.

The catalytic converter contains platinum, palladium, and rhodium, all present to speed the reactions of key chemicals that scrub emissions at high temperatures. Selling the stolen devices at scrap yards and to recycling facilities, a thief can net $200 or more per converter.

Gold, which recently hit a record high at $1,000 an ounce pales in comparison to platinum, which has exceeded $2,300 an ounce. Palladium and rhodium are equally rare and equally valuable.

Frank Scafidi, a spokesman for the National Insurance Crime Bureau speaking to The New York Times said, "These [catalytic converter thefts] are definitely occurring more than they have in recent memory, and why that is is definitely tied to the price of precious metals within converters."

Car owners face a replacement cost for the converter of approximately $450 although units for larger vehicles like SUVs can easily run in excess of $1,000. An added advantage for the thieves is that their activities often go undetected since they do not actually have to break into the car to get at the converter. Drivers often do not know anything has happened until they start the vehicle, which emits a roaring sound in the absence of the converter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Drive Shaft Stolen

On a related note - I had the front drive shaft stolen out from underneath my Toyota pickup at the Desolation Canyon takeout in 2001. Didn't even notice it until several months later. Pretty good part to steal because you will likely be far away when you figure it out. Weird.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
A buddy just came up with an idea: Go to your local welding shop & ask if they can make a piece of half of a 1/4 inch large diameter steel pipe w/ a flat bar tacked to each side which can be drilled to bolt to your undercarraige over the cat. Tight enough fit that they couldn't just slide the whole pipe & cat out one end or another beacuse of the angle. They allways have tons of scrap to make stuff with, & charge way less than some pre-manufactured part would cost. It would take forever to get through, so they'll just leave it alone. Or @ a 4 wheel drive shop. If you're fortunate enough to see someone under your truck when going to install, you can bash their head in with it. (I know this is supposed to be a nicey-nice community, but theives/tweekers/wannabe gangsters don't count as people, just varmints, & should be treated as such)
An even better idea is to call your insurance company and pay a couple of bucks a month to lower your deductible. I pay $3 each month extra to bring my deductible down from $500 to $100. Then this kind of shit doesn't sting so bad...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts