Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
We ran it on June 8th, and yeah, it was sneaky AF at that water level (probably about 8k). We scouted and could just see the highest sharp bit occasionally peeking out of the water from above. Here you can barely see it:

View attachment 78156

Then here it peaks out a bit:

View attachment 78157

And after passing through, it's obvious from the back.

View attachment 78158

It's easy to avoid - the trick is knowing it's there when it's mostly obscured from the upstream view.

-Andy
Good pictures! We ran it on 7th and this is exactly what we saw too. It pillows over rock at 7-8K, watch for slack water behind pillow. the Two Horns on the rock are very sharp. Easy run on traditional left, left of new horned rock, wide open on right at this stage, that will change as water drops.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great pictures! Our group came through Steer Ridge on June 6th. That day flow at Ouray was 10k cfs, and flow at Green River was 12k cfs. You could see water pillowing against the rock, but couldn't actually see the rock until you were past it. The ranger had warned us about it, so we were all looking. A raft going over that would have torn it seam-to-seam.
-Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
my group had a magical first timer boatman on the oars and he hit it, stalled, and continued. one ammo can went for a swim and was recovered. he is now sad that we can't name the rock after him since his minimal carnage was outdone by 100000X

seeing the rock now and what it has caused we will call him The Magician for somehow going over it without any rubber carnage. old school AVON ftw.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Our group ran it June 17th at about 9000 cfs. It was not too visible from upriver, we all ran right of the wave train. The backside was exposed like a double shark fin. It's a boat ripper.
We also had a bear into our camp at Lower Three Canyon Camp (Mile 49.5), It took quite a bit of persuasion to get it to leave.
Dave in his underwear faced him or her down with rocks, and it took a few. Bear Spray may be a good idea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got this from the Sand Wash ranger today:

"I will be participating in raft recovery operations downstream at mile 56.5 to remove an abandoned raft wrapped on the new rock in the center of the main channel of Steer Ridge Rapid."

Bram Stoker claims another

·
Registered
452 Posts
Unbelievable! I don't get it - have folks been down so many times their "auto-pilot" is not updated? Don't have GPS? Don't have an up to date river map? Need glasses? Too enebriated? Looking at other more important "things"? Sleeping? Stonned? OR all the above?

As far as I can tell there are rocks in rivers.

The "rock" should be drilled and Stocker's flag inserted on a pole as a warning.

Those that can't navigate the Green thru Deso/Grays should NEVER think about rafting the Middle Fork - too many rocks.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts