Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,507 Posts
WTF are the people on that rock doing barefoot? That rock looks like it could put a nasty slice in someone's foot to add an extra dimension of "adventure" to the whole thing. Good thing they weren't running around on the bank having to rescue another boat...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks Nasty, I presume only ego injuries and the raft damage?
Could you tell me the location of this new rock. I presume we are talking about Desolation Canyon on the Green river.
I am heading there for a June 14th launch and I am not familiar with the Steer Ridge location.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That's unfortunate. The rock is easily avoidable. We went thru back at the end of April and didn't even notice the change. We did a side hike and we could see the giant rock fall that tumbled into the river. Some of our group went left of the rock, some of our group went right. I would probably say right was easier. That was at about 5k cfs.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Steer Ridge rapid often captures wood (strainers) and certainly as levels drop, expose rocks and plenty of them
I scout this one, have for 20+ years, and will continue to do so, if the river gods grant me that pleasure

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had a look at this on 6/6. Flows would have been somewhere between 8-9k cfs. At this level it was much sneakier than I would have guessed, looking like a standing wave and only occasionally showing its shape. We ran right and so did all the boats we saw. Not difficult to avoid once you have an idea of the general location of the rock.

As a point of interest, the rockfall in question originated from about 1,200 ft. above the river. The slab that fell looks to have shattered up high and gone to both sides of a small spur high above the rapid. There is still a lot of pulverized material on the slope that looks poised to come down sooner or later.
Water Plant Mountain Water resources Plant community

Sky Mountain Plant community Ecoregion Bedrock

·
Registered
29 Posts
We ran it on June 8th, and yeah, it was sneaky AF at that water level (probably about 8k). We scouted and could just see the highest sharp bit occasionally peeking out of the water from above. Here you can barely see it:

Water Water resources Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Bedrock

Then here it peaks out a bit:

Water Plant Bedrock Wood Natural landscape

And after passing through, it's obvious from the back.

Water Plant Plant community Fluvial landforms of streams Bedrock

It's easy to avoid - the trick is knowing it's there when it's mostly obscured from the upstream view.

-Andy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Damn; glad everything worked out. What day was the incident? We were there on Jun 4 or 5 and did not see anything. But, we had the benefit of the high water release from FGD and about 15K CFS.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts