Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of those new Stohlquist neoprene necked dry suits? Thinking about getting one and just wanted to know if any one has been out of a boat in whitewater with one and stayed dry. Heard you have to have a big neck for one, which shouldn't be a problem for me. Awful sick of laytex neck gasket repairs on extended trips.
~Thanks!

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
I have a stohlquist shorty with the neoprene gaskets, and on my neck it's definitely not as dry as a latex gasket. My wife described it as being about as dry as a worn-out latex gasket on her top. However, it is definitely the most comfortable top I have ever worn. And obviously, as you said, it'll be much more durable than a latex gasket.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My Stohlquist drytop has the neoprene neck. Seemed a bit constrictive at first, but broke in nicely. Very comfortable and stays dry while swimming. I have a medium sized neck and had to trim the gasket to fit more comfortably cuz it choked the crap out of me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Disregard my comment. I misread and didn't know you were talking about the gasket. Thought you meant closure.

·
Tenacious B
83 Posts
I have a B-Pod with the neoprene neck gasket. I have swam in rapids more times than I care to admit and have stayed dry each time. I found it very comfortable. My feet get mildly damp though... think I'm going to send it in this winter.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have the Kokatat Supernova which has a neoprene neck gasket. I have dunked myself in a few hot springs and have been hit by waves a bunch. The collar of my shirt does get damp. But, I think it's a decent trade for not having to wear the latex!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the B-Pod for a season or 2. It was comfy but I called it a semi drysuit. Playboating sucked in the spring as well as taking big hits river running as I could feel the cold water running in. After spending 5 days at Lochsa having to put on a wet dry suit every day I sold it and bought a Kokatat GMER and haven't looked back.

I do think its perfect for rafting and catarafting. If you are kayaking go with latex.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I used a Stohlquist top with a neoprene neck gasket for a couple years as well as IR tops and Nookie tops - for kayaking they are not as dry as a latex neck gasket - but very comfortable. The neoprene neck gasket seems to leak a when you are straining/flexing your neck muscles (ie rolling) and when hitting waves head on (esp if you duck - a blast runs right down the back of your neck.

The downside to the Stohlquist neck is it's shorter than the IR neck gasket. I found it leaked more than the IR gasket. The surface of the Stohlquist neck gasket also seemed to wear down (show more abuse) than the IR gasket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts