Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
The Stikine footage upsets my stomach. You can see the power in the funny water. I'd be dead within the first few minutes in that place. Definitely view in HD.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just watched again

That is full on. I don't think I've ever encountered that kind of continuos class five big water. A couple of those rapids look like they go on for a mile. Lateral holes that eat you like that. Just awesome. Where do you practice for that in North America?

I think my favorite shot is when the red white and blue boat enters a fall, he hits his boof already over the lip, and angles it perfect. Very nice.

This one certainly made my day!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Canada you train by running shit way over the recommended level. Looks like quality for sure.. stokine doesn't look like the beast everybody talks it up to be.. Gary e when you gonna get it I hear you are itching for it.. either way I think the ill goods up this way have dropped in 2 good level if somebody wants to do some Cronic boating. Be quality for sure

·
Registered
701 Posts
The Payette has more padding.

I've never been there anything near flood however. I think you could practice big water hole punching and hole escapes and all that, but those rapids seem longer. Look how long it runs after he gets caught in that pour over and makes it out. It would have been an epic swim in the middle of nowhere if he hadn't punched out. Would love to here his story and if it flushed him or he just found the right paddle stroke. Imagine how tired you would be after that hole ride and then have to finish that rapid. Simply awesome stuff!

·
Registered
709 Posts
That is full on. I don't think I've ever encountered that kind of continuos class five big water. A couple of those rapids look like they go on for a mile. Lateral holes that eat you like that. Just awesome. Where do you practice for that in North America?

I think my favorite shot is when the red white and blue boat enters a fall, he hits his boof already over the lip, and angles it perfect. Very nice.

Come down to the SE following a hurricane. Some of our class 4/5 runs turn into that stuff at flood levels. I think what makes that run so epic (besides the difficulty of the water), is the remoteness and the temperature of the water. Varying water levels also add a dimension that most never experience, considering it can fluctuate >10,000cfs overnight. I remember talking to Kincaid (I think) about his experience up there about 10 years ago. They put on way too high, and they all had to walk out (after nearly drowning).

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yeah, that delayed boof was beautiful.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Which is harder in terms of the whitewater only (taking out the remoteness factor). The Stikine at normally run flows (assuming it was roadside) or the North Fork at 5000-6000. The footage of the North Fork at 8000 from this year looks way harder than that footage of the Stikine. Not that I'll be doing either.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think the holes on the stikine are much larger than those on the NF. I remember seeing the film that Grace shot a few years ago. Very impressive holes, with some crazy ferries.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
I don't the specifics of the NF rapids, but from what I've seen there is nothing on the NF that has the pucker factor that Wasson's has. Giant lateral feeding into a very big, very scary and very terminal looking hole. Named after a member of the first successful decent, after a near fatal ride. LVM 32 has some pretty good footage.

With reference to the rescue video he had it very easy. It sounds like his hike to the rim was relatively easy, and he had a nice spot to camp for 2 days until he was picked up by a heli. Mosts exits from that canyon are far more difficult and dangerous.

·
Registered
494 Posts
With reference to the rescue video he had it very easy. It sounds like his hike to the rim was relatively easy, and he had a nice spot to camp for 2 days until he was picked up by a heli. Mosts exits from that canyon are far more difficult and dangerous.
He did have it easy. To the extent that his crew had planned ahead for something like that, good on them. He had it easy becasue his bros pulled through.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
He did have it easy. To the extent that his crew had planned ahead for something like that, good on them. He had it easy becasue his bros pulled through.
No doubt they had an exit plan if things went south but he still got lucky. He got lucky with the spot he was at. He could have easily been in a sheltered area where no heli evac was possible for miles and miles. He could have been somewhere where escaping the canyon wasn't nearly as easy as it was. He was lucky having a water source. The list goes on...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Freddy Coriel said it best this year when paddling the NF of the Payette at 8 grand. "if the stikine was this big when we first ran it, we would've hiked out" Anything on the NF over 5000 you're playing with your life on every rapid including the lower 5.

Mike the stikine is the everest of big water class 5 in north america, show respect.

Sweet vid for sure

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Headcam vid of the big water hole beatdowns were awesome. I got that "oh shit" feeling just sitting on my couch.

The "rescue" video was interesting as well. Makes you think a bit more about the "what if" scenarios. I did my first self support wilderness overnighter in Cali this season. We did tons of planning, but one thing I didn't really think of was how to split up gear if you lost a boat and someone had to hike out. You don't want to overload your boats with extra gear, but you also don't want to be SOL if you lose a boat.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts