Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting some of the Sterling Sewn prusiks- they come in two lengths, 19” and 25” - thoughts on which to get for a pin kit?

·
Definite maybe
727 Posts
Why not just cut it and tie it

·
Registered
139 Posts
I personally like the shorter ones. I figured with the longer ones every time it stretches out I lose more of the progress that I just gained.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts

This one is 12", 5000 pounds breaking strength, and less than 4 bucks. they make different sizes as well. While I haven't tried them out in a rope rescue situation, I use jumars instead, I used then for years when I was hanging gear on towers, toss a few wraps around a rope and I've lifted 600 lb microwave dishes 300 feet in the air. They can be had much shorter than the prusics

·
Registered
700 Posts

This one is 12", 5000 pounds breaking strength, and less than 4 bucks. they make different sizes as well. While I haven't tried them out in a rope rescue situation, I use jumars instead, I used then for years when I was hanging gear on towers, toss a few wraps around a rope and I've lifted 600 lb microwave dishes 300 feet in the air. They can be had much shorter than the prusics
Those have their use, and I don't a jumar is, but as far as a prusik being used on a rope, webbing doesn't bite into your rope as well as another rope...which is why I think Prussiks are usually chord.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
This is a jumar

It's an ascender that climbers use to ascend the rope, is fast, infinitely adjustable, which makes life a lot easier in a rescue situation, I particularly like them when used in a "Z" drag scenerio
Neat.

Does it wear on the rope eventually if there's a friction mechanism of the jumar on the rope?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I run Bluewater 11 mm static lines in my rescue kit, I've never noticed it's causing any undue wear on the rope, rock climbers use these all the time to Ascend a rope, I would imagine that eventually it would cause more wear than a prusik knot, I think the trade-off is it's so much easier to use, and faster than a prusik

1 - 13 of 13 Posts