Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the steamboat town run a 2/3 or a 3 at the moment? I just did the Upper Colorado from Pumphouse to Radium at about 4000 cfs in an IK and it was definitely running at a 3 or 3+ instead of a 2/3 as usual. I made it, but am not really looking for that level of whitewater with my level of experience (2/3 is really the max I am looking to do right now). I will be heading to Steamboat this week and I am interested in doing the town run, but I am a bit weary of whether I should do it, given my recent experience on the Upper Colorado. Looks like the flow is about 1800cfs right now. American Whitewater lists this as a 3, but I have also seen it called a 2/3. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There aren't really any class 3 moves, but some of the play holes might be a little intimidating. You could look at the c and d holes (just upstream and downstream of the library on 13th street), and maybe the hole behind the Rabbit Ears motel. There are plenty of options for put-in and take out that can avoid those and keep it easy class 1 or 2, and you can walk just about anything you want on the bike path.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks....huge help. So it sounds like I can just paddle through these holes? I am more concerned about technical moves then I am about absorbing a big wave and paddling through. Sometimes when stuff gets too technical, I take a swim which is really the only thing I am trying to avoid. If I decide against taking on the holes (which I def might) it sounds like I can just walk my kayak around the c and d holes? Either way, huge help...thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yampa through Steamboat

Just did Walton Creek Rd to the Transit Center yesterday in a Sevylor "Trail Boat", no swimming req'd. Hubby used the Alpacka but wished he had a drysuit since he did get bounced out and the water's still kinda cold. I'd suggest you stay to the *far* right for the holes by the library and below. You should be able to power through just fine and your IK is probably way more manueverable than the packrafts. We plan to go again tomorrow and will probably start at Fetcher Pond since the flat water below Walton Creek Rd is tedious in a raft. Call 612-968-0022 if you want to try connecting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yampa through Steamboat

Holly, thank you very much. Sounds like it isn't too technical and would be something I would be able to handle. I won't be in Steamboat until Tuesday (plan on rafting Wednesday), so if you (or anyone else!) are up for a town run on Wednesday, please let me know!

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steamboat town run Weds 6/25

Hi Marc, can't make Wednesday, alas! There's a group of guys that typically does that run in the afternoon, they meet at the transit center on the west side of town around 1 or 2 pm. I don't seem to have a phone number for them, but one of them paddles a ww canoe and I think his name is Darrell. Maybe you can hook up with them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts