Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about heading to Steamboat tomorrow. Anybody there have beta on the local creeking scene?

Also, anybody been able to up to the encampment?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't think the road to the Encampment put-in is open yet- if anyone knows for sure please post. Otherwise, all sections of Fish Creek (V-, V) are great right now, Mad Creek (V) is up as well as Willow Creek (IV+, V-)- watch for wood on Willow.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Run a search for the eariler thread on Willow. There were a couple close calls there, all within 30 minutes of each other - three pins on the same log, two with heads down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Encampment

FYI: I called the campground near the encampment to ask about the road yesterday and the word was that the road is not open yet. He said folks have been trying to get up there everyday, but to his knowledge no one has been successful.

Anybody know why Gore has dropped off so much in the last couple of days? Just normal fluctuation due to colder temps or are the dam keepers ramping down?

...and thanks for the heads up on Willow.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Encampment 307-327-5968
The last time I called the lady at the campground didn't know and we drove up there to find lots of snow, let us know what you find if you venture north

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beta from Mem weekend

Had a good time in steamboat. The main playwave was going off. Upper and lower fish both good to go, all wood is easy to avoid. The second main drop on willow has enough wood in various places to give you second thoughts. A log on far river right at the very top of the drop is difficult or impossible to see as you come in so don't just drop in thinking you will sneak it all on far right. A narrow opening between assorted wood in the far left exit among the willows looked a little too close for comfort for me. Recommend taking a peek. Things may look different now with flows dropping to about 1/2 compared to the weekend.

Road to encampment was still reportedly snowbound as of Sunday...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just as a note- the wood on Willow likely will not be cleaned out due to a protective landowner in the area.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Dave Moss, the landowner in question, only owns the last mile or LESS. There are no major rapids near his land. There is a fence on river right that marks his property boundary. I know this from personal knowledge.

So, most of the wood on this run is on Forest Service land. I hope someone cleans it out. I'd love to go back. ha ha

·
Registered
86 Posts
snow, rain, cold, Steamboat

currently snowing all the way down below the top of the gondola at Steamboat, so that's probably not helping the road situation up at the Encampment and is probably why Gore is dropping.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They will release water later in the season in order to guaruntee downstream water rights....California :)
It is typical to hold water on the Colorado in spring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was up the road to Encampment today and there was still a snow blockage about 10 miles up the road. I am not sure how the other 10 miles past that are.

JP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts