Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey team! so I’m building my (poverty) Big river/GC rig and after quite a bit of research I’ve decided the best college student boat was a 16-foot outlaw (star). After unrolling it and inspecting the extremely small sticker D rings I can’t help but worry that I might have overestimated the build quality of this raft.
Does anyone have any experience running these boats heavy for a lot of days?
Any input will be appreciated!

·
Registered
699 Posts
When I did the grand in 2015 one of the boats was a 14 foot outlaw. The only issue they had with the boat on that trip is that because the floor is only 4" thick and the boats carried a lot of gear, the floor was always a little underwater... not just at the edges.

But no issues were had in that trip regarding build quality or durability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have almost 30 days this year on a Star 130. My only beef has been the cheaper D-rings and handles. I haven’t had issues with the floor running underwater, even heavily loaded. A friend of mine is two seasons in on a Star 142...has even run a motor on a cataract trip without issues.

I don’t expect to get 10-15 years out of mine, but no issues so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased a Star Outlaw 140 last year and have run two longer trips on it (Smith River, MT and the Upper C from Pump to Dot) and haven't noticed the floor being underwater on those trips. I had my raft fully loaded for the Smith river trip as I was the gear boat. It was just me on the raft for that trip but I never had water coming over the floor. The CFS level was at 575-625 for reference. I haven't taken a trip longer than those two trips but figured I would chime in since any information could be helpful! I love the drop stich floor in the raft while I'm fishing out of it because it is so stable. However, I do agree with Roseldo concerning the D-rings and handles, they aren't the greatest and I may change my D-rings out this winter with some heavier duty ones. Hope this information helps you!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I bought a pre-Star Outlaw 140 about five years ago (4 seasons of use) and have run it on the San Juan, Dolores, Rio Chama, Gates twice, Westwater twice, Cataract (including motoring), and a bunch of RH, Arkansas, and Upper C runs. Early on I was packing the stern on the floor and it did create some problems with dragging, but I bought a Santa bag and make a point of keeping things off the floor. And I make a point of keeping junk from going under the floor. The boat has held up well.

I do question the move to smaller D-rings. Seems like a bad design call. But these boats still seem like a top choice in the value category.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned that I use a cargo floor in the rear for all of my overnight trips to keep everything off of the floor too. For longer trips I try and keep everything up off of the floor and suspended from the frame too. The cargo floor is well worth the purchase...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts