Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished setting up the floor on my new 16' cat. I'm pretty new to the sport, been going with friends for 2 years and just bought my boat late last fall. I followed a friends design to make it tight and stand-able. I've definitely read posts of a few users saying that cat floors just aren't meant to be stood on but ya know... fuck the po-lice :p

Anyway, I had a bit of a time figuring out how I wanted to do this and I couldn't find much advice on the buzz that helped, so I figured I would throw the blog post I wrote up for others to find.

Floored. | Ben A Golden

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call! l considered going that route too, those look really solid, a bit pricey, but probably well worth it if you don't want to build your own.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Donkey Punch
82 Posts
Cat Floor

A friend of mine turned me onto wire wall racking to use as a floor for a cat. His is welded in and is bomber. I first tried straps, but couldn't get it tight enough and it would flex / bend when stood on. Then I got the idea of using hose clamps with hosing around it to cover the edges, keeping the racking tight on the frame. Works great! Pretty tight, water flows freely, and catches things from dropping into the water.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
You can stand on that floor.....right up until you no longer can. UV is gonna get to that material at some inopportune time. Seat belt webbing is far stronger and perfectly stable to stand on.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can stand on that floor.....right up until you no longer can. UV is gonna get to that material at some inopportune time. Seat belt webbing is far stronger and perfectly stable to stand on.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Yes... I can stand on it, and I am 6' 200 lbs and it would be MANY years before there was UV damage. Seat belt webbing sounds like foot entrapment to me . And seat belt webbing is not immune to UV Damage either.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have NRS' aluminium floor in my 16' cat and it's great to stand on. I understand it takes away some of the performance of the cat but for class III/IV overnighters I do as a gear rig, it works great.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
If you are using an NRS cat frame with the lower side rails, beware of significant frame flex with any floor if your don't use spreader bars of some sort to cross brace. When I had an NRS cat frame, I had them make skid guard floor boards for me. I attached them on top of the lower side rails and used extra heavy duty zip ties to secure them. They were solid. Never flexed or moved. Worked great.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You can stand on a mesh floor if it it tight enough and reinforced accordingly. I tried a mesh floor on my cat and decided I couldn't get the floor as tight as I wanted. Due to flex in the lower side rails, stretch in the Textilene fabric mesh and poly webbing it is not possible to get a perfectly flat floor. Sometimes the floor sagged enough that stuff in the cargo bay dropped below the rails, reducing my clearance.

Instead I went with a floor of wood slats attached with the same stainless steel U-bolts used on LoPro fittings. The slats are cut from 1x6 mahogany (recycled decking) I cut six evenly spaced 1.5" dia holes along the length to reduce weight and provide tie down points. Nuts for the U bolts are countersunk to protect bare feet. I only place the slats where I need them, 2 under the cooler, one under the rowers feet, and 2 in my storage bay. More then 50% of the floor is open space.

I much prefer the rigid platform for balance while rowing or scouting. It doesn't sag like a mesh floor and I have lots of places I can tie in cam straps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts