Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Ladore end of the month from Evergreen Co.
Wondering if any of you would consider stacking two sixteen foot boats on a trailer w frames (minus oar towers on lower boat of course) for a 14 hour round trip drive.
Opinions?
Thx

·
Registered
117 Posts
stacking

We have went as high as three stacked. Bottom and top boat had frame, middle one didn't. Smaller boat in middle that fit between oar towers. Worked OK. Biggest issue is boats losing, gaining air, straps come lose, or get VERY tight. Nice to have boats inflated at launch, though. We tied each boat seperately to trailer, but still had issues with top boat. Used a little carpet between where we thought wear would be an issue. Just two boats shouldn't be too as bad.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Two boats is no problem, but like salmonjammer mentioned, the pressure of the ups and downs is pretty important to monitor. Two boats is pretty standard operation for my group.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
We hauled my friend's raft and my Cat, inflated and stacked, from Utah to Oregon for a Rogue trip with no problems. As the others have said.....watch your pressure and check straps frequently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did some work with a company and we stacked 4 fully inflated 16' NRS rafts. If the frames are small, you can lay them out and strap them all down on the top raft, or collapse them and put the pieces and gear in the bottom two boats. What I found interesting is that we only strapped the top boat to the trailer, and simply ran the lines through the D rings on the bottom 3 boats, without any loops. This was somehow better for the boats, the were old river dudes so I trust they know whats up, but I don't remember the reasoning.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
I do 3 all the time. I hate to say this out loud, but I just put pfds over the our towers of the lower boats. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would just bring them deflated especially since Lodore has power at the boat ramp. If you were coming from Vernal or Craig might be a different story.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have wondered about this. Do those of you who stack boats for transport have all your gear in them? Is there an issue with wear on the boats if they are loaded with gear?

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
I have wondered about this. Do those of you who stack boats for transport have all your gear in them? Is there an issue with wear on the boats if they are loaded with gear?

No. I don't gear up the boats. Usually all my gear is in the back of the truck.

·
Registered
207 Posts

I've put minimal amounts of gear in boats that are stacked like dry bags and lighter stuff. On occasion water jugs and such, but in the drop bags of the boats. Theres not much wear and tear with that option. My friend that usually hauls the load has a trailer with space in the bottom for tons of gear, so thats where we put a lot of the ammo cans ect. As long as there is nothing sticking up too far out of the bottom boat, there isn't much worry of wear and tear. And make sure everything you put in the top boat is secured with straps so it doesn't bounce out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I put an old pair of shoes over the towers when we transport stacked boats with frames. Tie the laces to the frame and they dont fall off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
WE stack two fully loaded boats for our 4-5 hr drive to the put-in for a 4 day float. Bottom boat has a PRO grand canyon style frame that is fully decked. We pack the lower boat then throw on the upper boat and load it. At put-in, float the 2 boats then kick the top boat off. Last put-in was 24 minutes on the ramp to launch 4 boats. No wear issues for either boat. We have well over a 3,000 miles of trailering this way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
TRUE. Not my trailer and thankfully not my boat, but yes the 3000 miles caught up to us. New springs are being installed on both trailers currently, 3500# springs with plastic bushings. The trailer in question has a metal fender that acts as the decking above the tire, bad design. My trailer has a full wood deck and would not have caused the rupture. Nothings perfect. Most amazing part of the spring failure was my brothers in the middle of the road fix. Two short 2x4 blocks and four straps. It held together for a 250 mile trip home with both loaded boats on it including 12 rough miles of gravel and construction. A little advice, check your springs after the shuttle. The springs always bust when unloaded.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
TRUE. Not my trailer and thankfully not my boat, but yes the 3000 miles caught up to us. New springs are being installed on both trailers currently, 3500# springs with plastic bushings. The trailer in question has a metal fender that acts as the decking above the tire, bad design. My trailer has a full wood deck and would not have caused the rupture. Nothings perfect. Most amazing part of the spring failure was my brothers in the middle of the road fix. Two short 2x4 blocks and four straps. It held together for a 250 mile trip home with both loaded boats on it including 12 rough miles of gravel and construction. A little advice, check your springs after the shuttle. The springs always bust when unloaded.
Nice fix! Straps always amaze me. Good tip on checking springs. Grease them wheel barrings too. I avoid staking loaded boats because of the top heavy load. It causes more stress and sway.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts