Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eddyflower calculates SSV flow by subtracting flow on the NSV below buttonrock (town of lyons diversion gauge) from St. Vrain at lyons after the north and south forks confluence. The NSV below buttonrock gauge has been discontinued by the colorado department of water resources, and that particular gauge is not coming back according to DWR. Because of this the eddyflower calc attributes all of the st vrain flow to SSV, which overstates SSV's flow.

The DWR is installing a new gauge on NSV closer to the dam on an existing structure in the channel, but there is no word yet on when that work will take place. Not sure if its going to be prior to SSV's short season.

I know folks looking at the gauges have wondered if SSV is running, and it currently is not. Visual yesterday courtesy of Matt Booth was reported as about 90 cfs, using his highly calibrated eyeball-o-cfs-ometer. Level was reported to be "not fun".

So, no more gauge calc for now. Visual reports from locals passing by, or boaters who run it will help a lot. We may be able to get some reports from the folks who control the releases on NSV to see what they are doing to help figure it out.

On a postive note... May is finally here! Bring the melt!

·
Registered
846 Posts
ssv gauges

there's gauges (none of which seem to have left their dormant "seasonal" status as of yet). Check the middle saint vrain near peaceful valley, which contributes about 85% of the flow:

Detail Graph

There's also the south saint vrain near ward:

Detail Graph

However, given that the left hand diversion essentially dewaters the south saint vrain just below the peak to peak (http://www.dwr.state.co.us/SurfaceWater/data/detail_graph.aspx?ID=LEFTHDCO&MTYPE=DISCHRG), the flow that you see in the ssv @ ward almost never makes it into the SSV run. The rest of the flow in the creek aside from the MSV comes from random little feeder creeks. In general, I'd say that if the MSV reads 150cfs or more, its game on for SSV. A lot of times in the past, the run has felt like approx. 175 when the MSV gauge is in the 120 to 140 range. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alex. I'll keep an eye on those gauges. Much appreciated.

Got a call back from city of longmont guy who told me buttonrock is releasing 130 cfs, and they are bypassing inflow to downstream ditches with senior water rights. He didn't see that changing much in the near term.

He agreed to give updates as needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts