Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Never done it...but, from talking with some squirt boating friends, it sounds pretty bad ass given the right river environment. They talk about being able to hold themselves under water on eddylines watching the surface boaters go by, running underwater currents, etc. Not really any good spots in Rado...but I can definitely see the appeal.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have no idea what that means, but from your profile pic, I guess it makes sense...
When you mystery move, you submerge out of site and reappear downstream.;) When done on an eddyline, you are more in control on how long you stay under. When done in large holes on the river, there is no telling where you will re-appear. I have run Pine Creek in my 28 gal squirt boat and I ran straight into the dreaded moon-pie hole. No fear, instead of being stuck, I was just sucked down where the underflow just sent me downstream. I rocket moved back to the surface some 40+ feet below the hole.

Squirt boats are inherently slow. They tend to have a maximum speed, above which, they will begin to submerge. Hence, no surface dwelling!

Some Vid from last years Rincon Rendezvous.
Rincon Rendezvous 2009 [rough cut] on Vimeo

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
"Squirt boats are inherently slow. They tend to have a maximum speed, above which, they will begin to submerge. Hence, no surface dwelling!"

Noooo.... a 10' long glass boat "inherently slow"?!?! There are a lot of dynamics at work in a squirt design but one of them isn't submersion due to speed... Surfing big slow green waves in a squirt boat (possible because of its hull speed) is a treat that a lot of today's boaters don't even know they're missing.

We do agree that squirt boating is cool though. :)

P.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah thats a cool video but not a good example of holding your breath! They used multiple shots/dives and they actually apologized for making it seem like he went to the bottom.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Holding your breath is fun it's the cramming your feet into the boat and dealing with the pain that in that much fun

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have no idea what that means, but from your profile pic, I guess it makes sense...
Doode, I'd be careful, if I were you, about entering into a profile pic comp. :)

Here's a little about squirting...

Squirt boating is mostly about the Mystery Move these days. Typically a good spot is a "squeeze" between two currents (a convergence of 2 currents below an island like at Rincon on the Ark for instance) where boaters spin their boats and wing down for a head gone ride. The modern squirt boat is shaped like an inverted wing so a downward pressure is created as water passes over and under its hull while it spins along an underwater "eddyline". It can be a deep soulful experience and the "holding of one's breath" and the quality of the experience can lead to a "Mystery trance". Mystery masters can get controlled head gone rides of 45 seconds and more at good spots.

The best rios for squirting tend to be deep hence those that squirt in the Rockies are a dam dedicated bunch...

Squirt boaters were also some of the first playboaters and most all moves that don't include air were invented by the early squirters. Think 3D and any moves that are rotational on either axis. There's almost no power exerted in squirting, its all about flow and working with the currents. A good squirter makes boating look elegant.

(Parental plug warning)...

BV's Dustin Urban is known for his fluid style while he kicks it in playboating comps but he grew up squirting on the deep Kennebec Gorge and is a former squirt World Champ. His roots are in working with the rio rather than trying to power through moves and it shows.

For more on squirting, boating and exposure to one of the sports pioneers and poets read Jim Snyder's Squirt Book.

And if you really want to up your game get one of his hand crafted wood paddles.

Home rivrstyx custom wood kayak and canoe paddles

·
Registered
137 Posts
So with all this talk is there going to be a Rincon Rendezvous this year? I have missed it every year because I had to work but now that I am not a raft guide any more I want to go and give this squirt thing a try.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Squirt boating is definitely a "niche" sub-group in kayaking, but a TON of fun. There are still a few dedicated squirters up on the Snake here in Jackson, although I gave mine up because it wasn't really built for my foot size. S. Fork Payette has great squirting too. Took a clinic from the Snyder brothers and Jesse Wittemore over there a long time ago. Would love to be able to afford a new custom-made BigFoot. Going deep and long on an eddyline mystery move is one of the coolest things you can do in a kayak, so is back- and front-blasting in a big hole. Have gone 10-15ft under water and upwards of 200ft downstream in an eddyline called the "Dream Seam" up here. Sick rush. Squirting is all about technique, too, so it really helps improve your paddling and boat-control skill.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah thats a cool video but not a good example of holding your breath!
I think you totally missed the point. Sure, the video is a composite of multiple dives, but forget that. Other than actually making it all the way to the bottom, the diver could have done what was shown in one dive, as he can hold his breath for longer than the duration of the video. It was only capturing the video from multiple shots that required making multiple dives. It isn't supposed to be an example of holding your breath, it about the experience of holding your breath. I don't know about you, but the video definitely made me feel like holding my breath could be an incredibly magical experience.

Props for reading the info about the video, though, as some people obviously can't manage that. The music is "You Make Me Feel", by Archive.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Len,
Good music on the video. Who is it?
Buena Vista Social Club.

"Squirt Boating? Is holding your breath really that fun?" — I love it! That's gotta make it's way into something more permanent than a buzz post.

Shaft, you should come out to the Rincon Rendezvous and jump in a boat, cause I highly suspect you'd find it to be that fun.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After seeing everyone's posts on the topic, I gotta say that squirt boating does sound pretty cool. Just goes to show how explaining something that one might not know much about can illuminte why others really enjoy it. I can see how holding your breath for a long time, watching other boats pass overhead, using underwater currents, and ending up way away from where you went under could be a rad experience... I guess our CO rivers aren't as conducive to the sport hence why we don't see much of it out here, maybe adding to the allure or mysteriousness of it all. Good stuff!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts