Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because it's never to early to anticipate the white watery fruits of another winter, I give you the Milner Mile:
YouTube - Milner Mile 2009

In April 2009, a big crew of Idaho and Wyoming boys were lucky enough to paddle the Milner Mile of the Snake River during a rare release on the normally dewatered section of river. Known as the "the biggest water in Idaho" rapid contains fast and squirrly water and two beastly river-wide features. Needless to say, we lapped it with gusto because you never know when the Milner will run again. Could be this spring or it could be in a decade. All we need is another big year for the Upper Snake drainage and they'll be forced to blow out the reservoirs; just like last year.

Note, Ryan Casey (green boat, first shot) dialing the crux in a playboat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the Snake is running that high it is one of the best whitewater destinations I've seen. You can run the Milner, paddle down to Star Falls for a nice clean 25+ waterfall and then continue into the Murtaugh, which is a blast at high flow complete with epic surfing. And who knows what else lurks down in that canyon?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Man I love boating in Idaho. So many river, so little time off work. Wait, I'm quitting my job, yeeehaawww!

·
Registered
393 Posts
man that's big. reminds me of high water upper death on the colorado. fair comparision?
I was about 15 when I scouted the Milner mile so my memory is pretty vague but generally I'd say it's a touch easier than Upper Death, longer and much cleaner (maybe what upper death looked like before the road construction.)

And yeah, when it runs the Murtaugh is one of the best big water class IV runs out there. I like it as well or better than the Lochsa.

Phlyingfish - do people run star falls at flows of 10K+? Any footage of that? A super cool sneak line opens up above about 30K...a couple of guys I knew were close to dropping that line last time it got that high but I think it's still awaiting a FD.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So cool! Thanks for the video, Smokey. I'm pretty sure that's the sneak I was talking about and time must have taken it's toll on my brain as clearly it comes in at <30K. It does look a bit gnarlier at 30K though...

Anyone know the flow in that video? I'm guessing 20Kish? Looks sweet.

ID trip officially in the plans for 2010.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts