Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to decide on a location for our annual spring float fishing trip. Maybe some input can sway a decision on a location. We consider our home water the Arkansas, Salida area. We need input on fishing awesomeness for each location, or other locations. We are planning on a early April departure. We are coming from Denver and Springs.

Here are the current choices.

1. Flaming Gorge Green River Sections. I've been posting in current Green River thread.
The Good: New water for us. Sorta a bucket list float.
The Bad: Longest drive of the choices, Shuttle is mucho $, probably the most expensive option.

2. Gray Reef, N. Platte
The Good: New water, again sorta a bucket list float. Easy Shuttle?
The Bad: Still out of state, Second longest drive, Wind sucks.

3. South Fork area, Rio Grande
The Good: New water to float, not sure what else.
The bad: Know nothing about the spring fishing on the Rio Grande.

4. Colorado River\Roaring Fork
The Good: Fished Glenwood to Newcastle, familiar water. Some big fish. Closest, hotel camping. Two rivers to float.
The Bad: Been there, done that.

Phil if you read this chime in!!

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
I fish them all and Gray reef is always my first choice of your list if good fishing is the top priority.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Wagon Wheel Gap on the Rio is beautiful water, with excellent fishing. There is only one easy rapid (2+/3- depending on flow). There are also some nice riverside/roadside campsites and some additional nearby stretches to float fish...notably the reach from 30 mile bridge to Wagon Wheel and South fork to Del Norte.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. Eventually we plan on fishing all my list plus the other floatable water in the state like the Gunnison.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gray reef, IMHO, gives you a solid shot at lots of fish or, down lower, legitimately big browns. Rowing there is easy. Wind is a crap shoot, could go either way. What you get for the drive is ease of access, easy shuttles, modern conveniences in Casper on your way out to Alcova... I'm a fan. But the challenge when floating up there is finding the shelves, dropoffs, and structure in what is, for the most part, kind of a featureless river. Whereas on all those other rivers you mentioned, reading the water is a lot more obvious.

Sent from my Z970 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
FSH

Bump.

Dilemma-wise, I think we are in the same BOAT!! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I still stand by my recommendation...

"South Fork boasts the longest stretch of Gold Medal Waters in the entire state! Nearly 20 miles of the Rio Grande River receive this designation from the Colorado Division of Wildlife. These designations are given out sparingly and represent the highest quality aquatic habitat in Colorado - your best chance to catch a trophy trout."

(Technically this is no longer true since the Ark was designated Gold Medal, but still...)

Fish the Upper Rio - South Fork, Del Norte, Monte Vista and Creede, Colorado Fishing

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Olive fishing on the Green is pretty spectacular. I have yet to find a Colorado River that has bug production like that. Midges and olives carpet the water there at times.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
676 Posts
Olive fishing on the Green is pretty spectacular. I have yet to find a Colorado River that has bug production like that. Midges and olives carpet the water there at times.

True but you have to have the clouds for it to be really good.

Grey Reef sucks. I hate that ditch. Of the options you list I would go with 3 or 4, mostly because I've never done the South Fork and the 'rado has big fish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll take the green, over and over! Even when the fishing is "slow" you can grind and catch a few. And the main thing that makes it slow are sunny days! So, suffer with the great weather and sight fishing. If the weather is really bad, the fishing is off the charts! The scenery is pretty great as well:)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The Green is also about as close to a New Zealand river experience as you're going to get without a long plane ride. That water color and clarity is something you have to see to believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts