Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife is a teacher. We have 2 small kids. Considering a trip on the Juan on Spring break, 3rd week of March. Is that too early for folks to be reasonably comfortable during the day, barring major storms coming through?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are 10 of us putting in at Mexi Hat on the 16th for spring break.
60s in the day 30s at night are averages but its always hard sayin not knowin.

Yeehaw dude

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's early enough that it doesn't take a major storm to get really cold and miserable. I did a 5 day trip the last week of March in '09, and we spent one full day of sleet/snow mix, and only had two days of single-layer long-sleeves to make up for it. I pulled a 1/2" layer of ice out of my wash buckets one morning. I would be hesitant to introduce kids into that unless you all are extremely comfortable with cold weather camping.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did March trip years ago sunny and in the 70's, mid-April trip last year cold and rainy needed a fire as soon as we hit camp. Just watch the weather and be ready to pull the plug...it's a great kids trip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We've done spring break San Juan trips for the last three years, all with kiddos, and have had every kind of weather you can imagine. Watch the forecast and be prepared for cold weather and lots of wind...

·
Registered
206 Posts
As others have said plan for it but be ready to pull the plug if the weather looks bad. Actually had low '80's on a late March spring breaker once--new temperature records were set that week. Another trip people were practically freezing standing up as we were getting shelters and fire going during a sleet storm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts