Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a discussion on another thread about round boat vs cat designs for a sweep boat. I think the long parallel tubes allow a cat to track significantly better. My boat is built on 20' x 30" tubes. Below is some video from a recent MFS trip.

· Super Moderator
3,770 Posts
I saw a discussion about cats vs round boats for low water....did I miss the sweep boat post? The Firestone (20 footer) round boat that I ran some was a sports car for a sweep boat anyway. Rarely used the front oar...for me the discussion was always about tube size and how much weight per foot of boat.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Wadeinthewater, would you be willing to share what your frame looks like? I obviously see part of in the video, but can't picture what the entire frame/bay setup would look like for sweeps.

And I will give my answer to the huge ass boat question. If I bring small boat, I can't bring all the group gear that I have without feeling REALLY overloaded. Therefore I bring my big lady(not the wife). I have a 15'x29.5" JPW Royal Flush with an AAA frame that I added two extra bays to for a total of 7 bays.

· Registered
379 Posts
Superb handling skills. Serious question...have yall ever just considered taking less crap on the river with ya? Why such a huge ass boat unless you are an outfitter?
I just floated the MF for the 7th time only this time in self support packrafts. We had so much time to enjoy the river, and didn’t miss all the extra comfort gear. It was the best out of our 7 trips.

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So how were rapids like Sulphur, the chutes, and powerhouse? Were you fully loaded or empty. Very interested. Title says 1.54’ but looks higher.
I see that was powerhouse in video but was video at 2’?
Sulphur was good until I got stuck about 1/2 way down. Ran left, made the cut out to the right even beyond the boulder to the right of the log on the rock, then stuck. Got out, pushed, down the river.

No video of Powerhouse but it wasn't that much different than the one you looked at from two years ago at 2 ft.

The Chutes wasn't pretty but I made it without major mishap. I should have gone left instead of trying to straddle that big rock.

I had most of the group gear but my boat was a relatively light compared to a typical load. The sign at Boundary said 1.54 ft when we launched on 08/05.

How wide is that rig?
Do you trailer it inflated??
43 inches between the tubes and 8 1/2 feet wide overall. Touching both sides at Cove. Had to toothpaste through.

I trailer it inflated only short distances like to the McKenzie from Eugene or Cache to Boundary for back-to-back. I am not sure I could afford the fuel to trailer it inflated from Eugene to Idaho. The boat doesn't take that long to rig.
Road surface Table Asphalt Outdoor furniture Composite material

I saw a discussion about cats vs round boats for low water....did I miss the sweep boat post? The Firestone (20 footer) round boat that I ran some was a sports car for a sweep boat anyway. Rarely used the front oar...for me the discussion was always about tube size and how much weight per foot of boat.
Electric-Mayhem Post #9 in this thread.

Is this a commercial boat or private?
Private. I've been using it on the MFS since 2008.

Serious question...have yall ever just considered taking less crap on the river with ya? Why such a huge ass boat unless you are an outfitter?
Good point. On this trip I had most of the group gear for 10 people which allowed the MFS noobs to run very light. I often support IKers and other smaller boats on the MFS. But, I also have an old school Puma that I use on trips like a low water Selway or South Fork Owyhee and a Lynx 1 that I use on for "boatpacking" on low water Illinois and other small stream trips. Obviously I don't carry as much crap in those boats.

Wadeinthewater, would you be willing to share what your frame looks like? I obviously see part of in the video, but can't picture what the entire frame/bay setup would look like for sweeps.
One piece welded aluminum. 8 ft front bay and 4 ft rear bay. Pins and clips for the sweeps. Oarlocks for rowing into headwind or rowing the Grand Canyon.

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a neat frame and I like the versatility where you can swap to traditional oar right setup based on the need.
🤣 Oar rights? BLASPHEMY! Straight open oar locks all the way! But we can debate that for the umpteenth time on another thread. 🤣

PS - Thanks for selling me those pins and clips many years ago.

· Super Moderator
6,520 Posts
I see the advantage of being able to have two oars in the water when sliding along rock walls, and the cat being able to straddle rocks.

However, maybe I'm missing something because the idea of having a downstream oar in the water as a required as part of your setup, on a shallow, rocky river, just seems like begging for broken ribs. Is there something about the sweep boat setup that prevents the possibility of hitting a rock with the oar and having said oar slammed into your abdomen? Or is reading where the rocks are to avoid this just part of the requisite skill of running a sweep boat? There were lots of moments when the oarsman was in line with that downstream oar and it seems like it'd be pretty dicey if the water were cloudy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.