Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would spoon oars be okay used in a drift boat for fly fishing? No whitewater. I know they would be unorthodox. Reason I ask is because I found 4 9.5' foot Shaw and Tenney spoons like new for uber cheap. Could the blades be changed somehow? Maybe cut the blades off and epoxy new blades onto the shafts. Brainstorm folks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
They will get you down the river fine, but will not work quite as well as straight blades for minor positioning moves to hold the boat where the fish are. I would not hesitate to fish with them. I have been rowing a fishing dory for 30 years if that matters.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Buy them!

I don't know if they will work well or not, but Shaw and Tenney oars are not cheap!!

I wouldn't hesitate to laminate new blades...totally depends on your woodworking/epoxy skills.

Or hold onto them, sell them for a fair price, and buy some straight-blade S&T oars. At least you're over in the part of the world where people know what those oars are worth.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to try to meet up with the gentleman that is selling the oars next weekend. He is a five hour drive away so not just a quick jaunt. He says they are brand new. I figure that I will give them a try. If they don't work I will sell them in the late spring.

I could laminate up some blades, but I would have to look at the shafts in order to figure out the method of connecting new blades to the shafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts