Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's good flow for a 1st timer? Anyone done it yet this year? Beta on wood etc... Thanks!

-Brian :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think a good level is around 2.5 (pine view) for a first time. A fun level especially after poudre falls. You wouldn't want to be on much lower and much higher is pretty pushy in some spots. The water just got to that level today, so I doubt anyone has run it. So there is a lack of wood knowledge.
I heard that the water guys are letting a lot of water down from the high reservoirs for the next two weeks, to make room for the runoff, so we should see some steady flows for awhile.
JJ

·
Registered
619 Posts
Put in up on Joe Wright Creek...I put in below Carnito Canyon and really enjoyed it. That was 2 years ago so no wood info to speak of this year.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Joe Wright is a step above Spencer heights in technical difficulty. A guide is helpful, but not required if you pre-scout on the shuttle. Scout Carnito Canyon regardless. It might be too low still (my guess), but last year everything was free of wood. It is a small rocky creek though with manageable wood present, so be heads up.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yesterday Joe Wright was running a medium flow. Spencer Heights was medium/low (2.6ft at the Sportsman Gauge). Big South gauge was reading 1.3ft. Badkins, I think this is a good level for a first time down. The majority of the run is read and run, with the exeption of a few horizon lines that you will want to scout.

Beware, there is some new wood in Joe Wright below Carnito, all easily avoided. There is also some new wood in Spencer Heights - a new log in the far left channel in lower Cyclotron (easily avoided), and the log in the lower gorge (a couple rapids down from boneyard) has shifted and forced a walk for our group.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
We put on just above Carnito and ran it to the Spencer Heights takeout. It was 2.75 at Pineview. Where is the Sprortsman gauge Frenchy writes about? I thought it was a perfect level for a first time run. More would be better, but this felt good, not knowing any of the rapids.

Not quite class 5 at this level I thought, but good intro to the creeking season. I was very glad to be here and not on the Embudo at 3.6' for my season opener.

Great to be back in the boat. Really liking the new M3; thanks Eric. (The dent in the bow came right out.)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Dave, Sportsman's gauge is opposite the road from Sportsman's Lodge, just downstream from the Trading Post cabins, and a couple miles downstream from the Spencer Heights take out. It is a more accurate gauge for the Spencer Heights run, though there is still inflow above the gauge at the tunnel. There is no gauge for Joe Wright that I know of. Glad you had fun and sorry to have missed you while you were up here.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the Beta guys, got both Joe Wright and Spencer in this weekend and I loved them both. Carnitas, carnitos, whatever was the shit, if only there were a couple more of those in Joe Wright! Loved the ski jump boof at the entrance. Definately felt there could be more water, but at the same time it was nice to get in there and not have too much push. On Sunday one of our crew pinned his boat in Joe Wright and 3 of us with a z-drag could not get it to budge an inch. We worked on it for a couple of hours pulling from different angles with the same result. You could probably paddle right over it and not know it was there. :shock:

·
Registered
465 Posts
curious, where is that pinned boat located? and are there any ropes tied to it that we need to be worried about? might try and swing up there later today to paddle joe wright/spencer if time permits. who's boat is it, in case we get it dislodged?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bow of the boat is pinned against the shore, and that is where we have rope attatched to it, but even if the boat comes loose I don't think it will be a hazard. It will just swing up against the right bank. Like I said I would be really suprised if a boater saw it on their way down without knowing exactly where it is, you could boof right over it and not see it. It is located right next to the highway, directly below a forest service access or information sign with an arrow pointed to the right. It's pretty much at the end of the steeper rapids where it starts to mellow out. I'm not going to out a swimmer on the buzz, but if the boat does come loose let me know and I can call him. :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Frenchy,

I'm Jarrod Hobson 720-938-1981. [email protected]. I've boated Narrows w/ you before.. couple years back. Anyhow....

I'm the swimmer.. yippee for me. The boat DEFINTELY should not be a hazard and Brian's beta is correct. I made a post also w/ more info above. It's really, really lodged in there and I'm still trying to figure out what I can do to retrieve. I'm thinking it may have to wait until H2O comes down some.

Jarrod

·
Registered
465 Posts
Jarrod, will see if we can find your boat tonight and let you know if we make any progress free'ing it up. Water's up from the weeekend, so there is a chance we may not even see it under water. Hope you didn't get hurt and give a holler if you're heading back through this way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Frenchy,

I got a couple blisters from running around in my creek shoes... ego is a little damaged but other than that not hurt. I more or less pinned and thought there was potential for it to taco... so bailed and climbed up 5 foot cliff directly where bow is pinned. You'll probably see rope on right about 1/2 mile or more passed Carnita Canyon after a Z turn type rapid. Can you email me your number and let me know what time you're going to try and get up there? [email protected]

Thanks. Jarrod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts