Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southwest Airlines now has a policy of allowing kayaks for $50 each way under 50lbs. I found this pdf on their website:

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/coc.pdf

quotes from the pdf:

CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE — PASSENGER
SEVENTH REVISED

EFFECTIVE JULY 28, 2010
7. Baggage
g. Special Items
The items listed below shall be acceptable for Carriage as Checked Baggage upon the Passenger's compliance with the special

(4) Kayak (other than a sea kayak). Paddle(s) must be secured.

Just to ensure that I read this correctly, I called and spoke with an agent who had to go to his supervisor to verify the policy. He said that once I purchase the ticket, I can call and have a note added to the record to ensure no problems when checking in. It was the agent who stated $50 each way under 50lbs.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The surboard policy is the same (awesome). Too bad they only fly domestic.

I filled out a compliment form for them on their website. They should be encouraged to keep doing this.

Every other US airline has basically abandoned travelling surfers and kayakers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah! I just booked my flight.

The first agent gave me a tip that I thought I'd mention.
When calling to get a notation added to your ticket so that there are no hassles at check-in, you can help the agent by telling them to look at "page 2 of the Baggage Guidelines, line 14". Oddly the agents do not have access to the pdf mentioned in my first post.

That line 14 best as I could transcribe reads:
One kayak may be accepted as checked baggage for a charge of $50. Sea Kayaks are not acceptable due to length. Paddles must be secured.

[no length mentioned]

Also the second agent thought that duct tape could be used to satisfy
"Paddles must be secured". I mentioned I had a paddle bag and she thought duct taping the paddle bag to the kayak would be accepted.

Maybe I should get ahold of some shrink wrap to make one package. Any other ideas?

Now, I hope the bus to the airport will not mind the kayak...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts