Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rookie rower (Have rowed about 100 miles of the Grand and the upper Colorado twice) and new Buzz member who Just got a new raft and want to get it wet this weekend. Can't go too far so I was thinking of running the Platte River from Union to 8th Ave. I had heard that I need to take out at 8th Ave because of some construction downstream?? Has anyone done this run? Are there any gotcha's I should be aware of?

Thank You

·
Super Moderator
3,881 Posts
There's traditionally been a low-head dam at the Xcel Zuni Power Plant but I believe its below 8th Ave. The stretch from C-470 to Union is a surprisingly pleasant float as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
At current flows, you may be hard pressed to even notice anything at the Zuni plant, other than the chlorine smell from the water treatment plant on the other side of the river. The stretch between Reynolds landing and Union is pretty flat/slow. Between Union and Oxford there are a bunch of chutes. Keep your boat between the cairns and you shouldn't have too much of an issue unless you get sideways..

afaic, you can float from c-470 to at least the 85/25 merge without much issue in a raft. The longest drop is near Florida on river left. It has an easy portage but I've never bothered. It's worth running even with the kids in the boat.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yeah, the 470-union stretch is pretty nice through the so. Platte nature area there. Doesn't even feel like you are in town for awhile. The best rapid might be in the section between the dam and 470 though. You can put in up there with a bit of a haul with the boat or down by the highway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts