Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

after 3 years, I no longer think I have an option to make the pilgrimage to my gf's homeland of South Dakota ( I haven't met her parents yet) ....

I think the only way ill get stoked about this trip is if I can find some whitewater on the trip.

I am looking for scenic and splashy class II-III , in south Dakota, we are coming from Colorado and headed toward Pierre SD which is in the middle of the state... centrally located and willing to drive for whitewater...

im combing the interwebs now, but thought id ask yall.... anybody done any boating in South Dakota????

I guess worst case scenario I paddle some flat water on the Missouri river because I know she lives near it...

Thanks in advance!!!

Praying for snow, so that it can be boating season again!

·
Registered
531 Posts
My only experience in SD was a true surprise as how cool Spearfish is, i was not boating though only Mtn Biking and it was good. Looking at the AW site it looks like Spearfish creek would be your best option. I was riding up on the rim and was surprised how deep that canyon was and how cool it looked.

Worth checking out for sure if you have to go, I would bring your bike as well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Holy shit Matt, here I am checking every possible run in Arizona and New Mexico for a late winter run, and your going to paddle in South Dakota. Damn you are the man!! Just wear the best titanium gloves you got. But after looking at the short list of rivers available, I agree that the Spearfish Creek Canyon section is the ticket. Looks like elbow room is the crux rapid, so I guess it just depends on your new hardshell skill level. Definitely find some local paddlers for the lines, don't do this solo. You gotta realize how cold it has been up there, if the Taylor is frozen with many ice dams,so will this rather narrow creek. Maybe bigger river, definitely. Good-luck mate!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gunnerman I was planning for spring/summer... sorry for confusion.... although, I got to be honest.... with this lack of snow, I cannot stop thinking about paddling!!!!!

I am looking at that spearfish creek and also looking at rapid creek ( better whitewater) ... and I always plan to find people to boat with in new areas... hopefully ill be able to in SD.

Really looking forward to upcoming Colorado season.... I want to run browns and taylor all dang summer!!! camping trips every weekend is the plan!

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Holy shit Matt, here I am checking every possible run in Arizona and New Mexico for a late winter run, and your going to paddle in South Dakota. Damn you are the man!!

Have you been to the Rio Grande Racecourse? That's a fun 3 that will run for sure. If AZ/NM get spring moisture I was considering trying to hit the Gila Wilderness run. Other good options with water are Oak Creek, Verde, Fossil Creek and the Salt. If none of them run though I will probably try and put together a multi day on the White Rock Canyon of the Rio Grande...

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
Only 3 years? I have to go this year to mn after what will be 6. But I have met them. And taken them down shoshone at 7500.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahha pine monkey.... trust me im not worried about the three years... but someone is!!! lol. I keep telling her they need to come visit out here!!! it is a little awkward having never met them!!!

however, if I took them down Shoshone at 7500 I don't know if they would ever want to meet again... to me that looks like about the hardest flow on Shoshone... ( washes out abit above that, I thought??)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Similar situation, wife is from SD.

Probably not worth driving to Sioux Falls from Pierre but the falls do look intriguing. If you do run the falls, you will probably get kicked out of the park and have the cops called on you and better be familiar with the local ordinances (since swimming in the area IS illegal, but apparently boating isn't against the law but people assume it is).

American Whitewater - Sioux Falls Park (1 mile) *** Access Issues ***, Big Sioux South Dakota, US

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey now, MN has plenty of good whitewater. If you're a kayaker that is, kind of light on everything-but-the-kitchen -sink rafting trips.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
100 Posts
You might have to get creative...

I live in Sturgis, SD (Northern Black Hills), so I can speak to the whitewater situation.

Rapid Creek through Dark Canyon is probably your best bet. But Spearfish Creek, and the Red Water River might be fun. When Whitewood Creek is flowing it's a hardcore class V. When are you coming through?

I leave the state to go rafting...for good reason. Canoeing on praire rivers through spring is fun but no real whitewater.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks john. still totally unsure of when... sometime between spring and fall. rapid creek or spearfish creek will be my target. do they ever run in the late summer? august ish?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm going to be stuck there for a couple of months this Spring/Summer so I was looking anyway check out AWA.org
Battle Creek [SD]
Harney to Hayward (4 miles)
III-IV(V)n/a
Big Sioux [SD] A series of major rapids and falls, conveniently located in a park in town! While not illegal, expect park personnel not to be very welcoming to
Sioux Falls Park (1 mile) *** Access Issues ***
Vn/a
French Creek [SD]
East boundary Custer State Park to SD 79 or Stockade Reservo...
In/a
Rapid Creek [SD]
1. Pactola spillway to Johnson Siding (5 miles)
II45 cfs
+ 1 cfs/hr
Below Recom.
03h18m
Rapid Creek [SD]
2. Johnson Siding to Big Bend (3 miles)
II+33 cfs
+ 1 cfs/hr
Below Recom.
03h08m
Rapid Creek [SD]
3. Thunderhead Falls: Big Bend to Hiesga (3 miles)
II(III)33 cfs
+ 1 cfs/hr
Below Recom.
03h08m
Rapid Creek [SD]
4. Heisga to Dark Canyon (8 miles)
III33 cfs
+ 1 cfs/hr
Below Recom.
03h08m
Redwater II [SD]
Helmer/Mtn View bridge to Hwy 34
II(III)n/a
Redwater [SD]
Old Belle bridge to Helmer/Mtn View bridge (3 miles)
I(II)n/a
Sand Creek [SD]
Campground Section
II29 cfs
0 cfs/hr
Lower Runnable
00h47m
Spearfish Creek [SD]
Spearfish Canyon
II-IIIn/a
Spearfish Creek [SD]
Spearfish City Campground to Old US HWY14 (2 miles)
IIn/a
Whitewood Creek [SD]
Tin Lizzies to Whitewood (9 miles)
III+(V+)n/a

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts