Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Likes it wet.
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks as if the USGS South Canyon gage spiked today to over 3000... maybe even approaching 4000 for a few hours. Has anyone had a visual on the South Canyon Wave or gotten out to play? I've heard it's best between 3100-3500 cfs. I'm in Fort Collins... so hopefully it'll be in this weekend as soon as I get get out of school. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
253 Posts
i no longer live in the area, but it was my observation in the three seasons from the 2004 to 2006 (when I did live there) that the window of "ideal" flow got a little smaller each year. in 2006, i personally felt the ideal flows were 3400-3600, and it was completely gone below 3000 and above 4000. even at 3200, it is somewhat inconsistent between green with no break, and having only a small foam pile. 3600 is the best level IMO, with consistent break forming a nice foam pile on top.

seems early, but the glenwood guage site should be free of ice and obstructions, so if it saying 3350 it should be accurate. it may just be a spike from warm mountain weather, and may not last through the w/e. call glenwood canoe and kayak before making the drive, quite a few of those guys are regulars when the wave is in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was down there today and it didn't look very "sticky" A couple of other paddlers gave it a thumbs down sooooo we went back up to old faithful.
According to Alpine quest it should have been @ 3450 today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts