Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, four friends and I are taking a ~4 month road trip to the southern tip of south america this winter. We are taking two Toyota 4Runners from Denver through Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, briefly through Honduras, Nicaragua, Coasta Rica, Panama, shipping our cars across the Darien Gap, meeting them in Colombia, continuing on to Peru, maybe Bolivia, Chile, then heading down to Ushuaia, Argentina, the southern most city in the world. Depending on time and budgets, we may take a boat ride to antarctica, before heading up to Buenos Aires to end our trip. Departure date is 12-3-08 +/- 1 day. There will be ruins, mountains, volcanos, jungles, forests, cities, oceans, and a whole bunch of other cool shit I can't yet fathom.

I know its short notice, but is anyone interested in joining us? I am the only kayaker in the group, and, with respect to that, as it stands now I'm not bringing a boat. If another kayaker joined I would love to bring the playboat for ocean surf, river play, and some mild river running (III-IV). Otherwise, its time to man up and learn to board surf. This is obviously a serious trip requiring a significant budget, and has some serious safety considerations.

If someone wants to hitch a ride to somewhere on the way that may be an option as well.

Cheers,
Loren

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is going to be really tough to do in 4 months - you won't have time for very much sight seeing along the way. I took 45 days to drive to Panama City, and that felt rushed.

If I were you, i'd spend the 4 months in Mexico and Central America and save South America for another trip. I wouldn't even consider driving to Ushuaia in less than 6 months, and a year would be better.

·
Registered
211 Posts
One other thing - the border crossing at El Amatillo between Honduras and El Salvador is awful. You may want to avoid it by either skipping El Salvador or going north into Honduras from San Salvador. The surfing is wonderful on the beaches west of La Libertad, but the rest of the Panamerican highway through El Salvador is dull. If you are missing Tikal, you should really stop in Copan in western Honduras so you see at least one first rate Mayan ruin, and the hiking around Gracias was my favorite anywhere in Central America.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll be in pucon, chile. Send me a message if you make it that far and want to squeeze in a quick run. There's something for every level around that area and getting gear for you wouldn't be a problem if you only needed it for a day or two.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be in pucon, chile. Send me a message if you make it that far and want to squeeze in a quick run. There's something for every level around that area and getting gear for you wouldn't be a problem if you only needed it for a day or two.
Awesome! I'm not sure where we're crossing into Argentina, but I'll talk to the guy in charge of Chile planning and try to include some time there. Can we count on finding safe lodging and parking somewhere in Pucon?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ill be in Turriablba, Costa Rica. You could stop by and we could fire some sh!t up. Any chance youd be willing to haul a creek boat and paddle to Costa Rica? If not the boat maybe the paddle and some other gear? Im in Denver until i leave.
Sounds like a sick trip, how long have you been planning it? Your going to have a blog or something?
THanks, W

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill be in Turriablba, Costa Rica. You could stop by and we could fire some sh!t up. Any chance youd be willing to haul a creek boat and paddle to Costa Rica? If not the boat maybe the paddle and some other gear? Im in Denver until i leave.
Sounds like a sick trip, how long have you been planning it? Your going to have a blog or something?
THanks, W
Can't commit yet, but I would be surprised if we couldn't hook you up to some extent. When are you leaving?

The trip has been on the books for a couple years, originally planning to have a total of 4 peeps, with a truck/4runner. We recently picked up a 5th, and I figure we might as well pick up a 6th if possible.

We will be blogging, I think the website is going to be hundreddayweekend.com, though its not up yet. I'll confirm the URL when I know for sure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you make it that far, Colombia is the shit! Went there in May and it was awesome, we were there for a month and thought it wasn't long enough.... Same for Peru the year before and Ecuador is awesome! You are going to have a great time, I am so jealous

·
Registered
211 Posts
Where in Colombia were you? Did you drive on the highways between cities? I've spent a lot of time in Bogota and felt safe enough, but never really got a chance to explore the countryside.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Ditto what everyone else says, more time, roads get rougher and more scarce further south. Tickets to Antartica are $$$$$. My cousin goes down and backpacks throughout Columbia for a couple months at a time, has nothin but good things to say as well.

Ushuaia!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Colombia was great, went on a recommendation from a friend and found it pretty safe and well worth spending a while there...We flew into Bogota, then went to Villa de Leyva, San Gil for a bit of rafting... wish we would have spent more time there.... then went to a small town outside of Santa Marta called Taganga.... hung out there for a long time, pretty crazy party scene there, then did the Lost City hike for 5 days, by far the best part of the trip minus the bugs and then to Cartegena and Medellin. Nightlife was nuts in Medellin, if we did it over again I think we would have spent just a weekend there and instead headed South to the Zona Cafetera. We heard of people getting robbed or screwed over by the police but we had zero problems.
Found it a tad expensive, and did not do any driving... the busses were crazy enough
Also you might want to ditch the car in Panama and take a cruise to Colombia and then do the bus thing, just a thought

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jen, I can't wait. We really appreciate the thoughts and experiences everyone, keep them coming.

I hear you guys about the time, we'll just have to see how things go....I personally don't have to be back at any particular time, or have too many particular goals for the trip.

·
Registered
213 Posts
willieWAO

when will you be in Costa Rica. I am going to be down there in Jan for 20 days trying to do some boating. We would be interested in boating with others if you are down there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
road trippin south

My wife and I worked in Honduras (Roatan) as dive masters for a bit back in 2000 and met a couple who were driving from New York down to Argentina. They ended up having severe car problems in Honduras (San Pedro de Sula) and had to get 3 weeks worth of work done. We saw about 6 teenage boys driving around in their car before we met them, and mentioned it to them but they didn't believe us. So beware of the mechanics and perhaps offer them a "rush" incentive, otherwise they may just take their sweet time and milk you for what they can get. If you do get stuck in Honduras, high tail it to Roatan and do some cheap diving. Also, be careful in Lake Atitlan in Guatemala region another tourist petty crime trap. Finally seems that the border between Costa Rica and Panama was down right scary when I was there and I got mugged in San Jose Costa Rica and Livingston Guatemala, so have some constant "ditch" money on hand. I wouldn't worry too much about getting ripped off, it will happen its just how you can minimize the impact and pacify the bad guys. Also, I agree with everyone else that you should really think about the distance covered. Finally, Nicaragua and Venezuela were my favorites. If you get sick of your friends take a short quick trip to Cuba, its so fun, hot and a little sleezy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts