Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I consider myself a friend of Todd Toledo From Timberline.
He is doing a source to sea trip(about 1450 mi) on the Colorado river to promote water conservancy.
They are as I know it, launching towards the end of may 2009.
I would like to personally try to help them any way I can. It ends up all I can chip in is maybe a 30 pack of PBR. anyone that gives a rats ass about the colorado river reaching the Gulf of California AGAIN someday should maybe try to help them out.
Just think if we could bring awareness to people in Vegas, Denver, LA, Arizona, ok all of the southwest. and all those frikkin golfers. we could all eventually get to raft the 240,000 sq mi drainage to mexico someday
so anyway these folks are for real and if you wanna contribute call timberline tours. even if it it's just a can of tuna, DO IT>>>>

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not wanting to be an asshole, seriously. BUT I have to ask: what are the constraints of the trip? paddle only/ whole watershed from boatable point? raft only? I totally respect the voyage. doing the whole thing without booze? cuz that WOULD be groundbreaking.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Put-in

Where are they putting in? I am reading the Fletcher book now. It's pretty good. Are they bringing a motor. Boating without alcohol is like boating with no nudity (UN-AMERICAN). Is anybody going to support thier awareness efforts with any kind of blog.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Good luck! im wondering where you will be putting in aswell. upper upper colorado at frasiers canyon? what would the true source to sea trip be considered.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I could donate 3 months of my time to go along as a relief rower.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Good luck! im wondering where you will be putting in aswell. upper upper colorado at frasiers canyon? what would the true source to sea trip be considered.
True source of the CO. river is La Poudre Pass lake, high in Rocky Mtn. NP., then passes through Grand Lake and Shadow Mtn. Res.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,235 Posts
I could donate 3 months of my time to go along as a relief rower.

You can come on my trip for relief and rowing! Are you going to man up and quit your job or what?
I notice TakemetotheRiver didnt volunteer her river cooking expertise. I saw her fry up some choice chimichangas from leftovers in the coolers. Better contract her for KP too.

·
Registered
805 Posts
1. Casper, you CAN kayak in RMNP legally, but there is very little good paddling.

2. Good Times, La Poudre Pass Lake is not the source of the Colorado. It actually flows the other way and is the source of the Poudre. Hydrologically speaking the "technical source" for the Colorado is high in the Wind River Range of Wyoming, where the Green River begins. The Colorado has it's "political source" at the base of the Never Summer range in the SW corner of the park.

3. 1whitewatafoo, no one is going to donate with that weak pitch. we need specifics including, how the trip is going to raise awareness, what is unique about this voyage and what kind of donations they need. Sounds like a good idea we just need to know the details.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Despite the name. . .

Among hydrologists and geographers, the headwater of the Colorado system is the upper Green River in Wyoming (reckoned by stream order and length).

That's where Colin Fletcher started his trip— his desire to actually hike up to a watershed divide without using snowshoes led to his setting off rather late in the season (mid-July). It'd make more sense to start from lower Green River Lake in late May or early June (i.e. when the road melts out) and ride the high water down.

He used a little outboard motor. Rowing all the reservoirs would take true grit.

·
Registered
795 Posts
2. Good Times, La Poudre Pass Lake is not the source of the Colorado. It actually flows the other way and is the source of the Poudre. Hydrologically speaking the "technical source" for the Colorado is high in the Wind River Range of Wyoming, where the Green River begins. The Colorado has it's "political source" at the base of the Never Summer range in the SW corner of the park.
F%$king wikipidea.......don't know why I continue to reference that shit. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
How are they getting through the Grand? Do they have a permit that works out with there schedule, or are they going to poach it? Are they starting at the real headwaters (the Green) or the Colorado? I need some answers now!

·
Registered
69 Posts
you know what would be a cool river to do that on. the salmon/snake/columbia. I figure you could do it in a dory and rig a sail to it for when you get to the columbia. think im gonna do it. whos in?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts