Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ice, ice, baby...on day 12!

Just back from an 18 day Grand trip and I wanted to report that we had ice for most of the trip. Mike hooked us up with 1/2 block of sculptural ice for $25, although next time I think I'd spring for the whole block. We have a Canyon 125 which was just for fresh/cold items and ice lasted in that for 7 days. We lined our Igloo with extra insulation and placed the frozen items in it with about 20 lbs of dry ice on top. Didn't open it until week 2 and the ice in it lasted through to day 12. Delicious!

Colorado Ice Sculptures:

• 3313 S Santa Fe Dr, Unit C
  • Englewood, Colorado 80110
Always open

Phone (303) 704-1171 Email [email protected] Website http://www.coloradoicesculptures.com

·
Registered
983 Posts
Well...while we're blowing our ice horns (gc trip).....NRS cooler, frozen in place with tap water. Ice from day 16-21.

Of course - that implies having someplace you can freeze a whole cooler :)

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Back in my grandparents' Day, there used to be Meat Lockers. I think they were just space in a big freezer where you could rent space, as people generally did not have a big cooler at home, yet often slaughtered a whole hog or steer. I was little at the time and probably did not understand how the whole thing worked, but maybe these things still exist? A big walk-in freezer would be tailor made for a big river trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts