Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Beginner
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid my deposit, and am on the spring production list for Songbird Oars. So excited to get some premium, hand-made oars in a world with so much production junk out there!

Folks who have a Max 12, what size oars are you using? What is the distance between your oar locks?

I definitely want to make sure these are a perfect fit, since they'll cost me twice what Sawyers will. But so worth it - he's even customizing the blade shape for me!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been rowing my 12' Avon Scout with 8 footers since I already have a set for my Mini Max. I have been strongly considering getting 8' 6'' oars for the Avon. Really wanted to find some Gulls but they don't seem to be available in the US anymore. Any word on that Randy? Meanwhile, I also contacted Eli in Moab, but am reluctant to spend that much for the 25 year old raft. He is a real artist. It's getting harder to find good, functional wood oars anymore that are affordable.

·
Beginner
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been rowing my 12' Avon Scout with 8 footers since I already have a set for my Mini Max. I have been strongly considering getting 8' 6'' oars for the Avon. Really wanted to find some Gulls but they don't seem to be available in the US anymore. Any word on that Randy? Meanwhile, I also contacted Eli in Moab, but am reluctant to spend that much for the 25 year old raft. He is a real artist. It's getting harder to find good, functional wood oars anymore that are affordable.
His name is Levi, for the record. He's been amazing at helping me plan my blade shape and wood selection so far. His sticks aren't cheap, that's for sure, but fine oars and paddles are my favorite things! I'll probably spend a little extra for some of the gorgeous inlay work that he does.

I loved my Gulls. I don't think you can find them in this hemisphere anymore, but I never tried to call them to find out for sure.

·
Beginner
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wood Rectangle Line Wall Garden tool

Here's the sketch of the 8½ foot oar with the custom blade we're working on. As wide as the wider Carlisles, shorter than traditional wooden oars, but not as short as Cataract Mini Mags or Sawyer Stubbies. The design was influenced by my Jim Snyder duckie paddle blades and their continuous curve design. Symmetrical, with enough shallow curve for shallow water, and enough surface area to really move my little boat!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Randy. Yep, my memory is slipping. I know the Songbird guy is Levi. I emailed with him about a year ago. Beautiful work, but overkill for my old beater boat and my budget. Ever since the pandemic, it seems the Gulls have not been available in North America. No luck finding used ones either. Seems like the Sawyers are the only practical wood option on the commercial market. Be sure to post a picture when you get your Songbird oars. Dave

·
Beginner
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Randy. Yep, my memory is slipping. I know the Songbird guy is Levi. I emailed with him about a year ago. Beautiful work, but overkill for my old beater boat and my budget. Ever since the pandemic, it seems the Gulls have not been available in North America. No luck finding used ones either. Seems like the Sawyers are the only practical wood option on the commercial market. Be sure to post a picture when you get your Songbird oars. Dave
I'll definitely post photos! I'm all about value, but I've seen enough Sawyer oars break to think they aren't a lifetime product like the Songbirds are. But I'm a wood geek. I have a pretty good collection of wooden paddles from amazing builders too - and expect to have them long enough to realize a pretty good price-per-stroke!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts