Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so myself, my son (who is almost 9) and a friend of mine have all started researching and looking into buying our first WW kayaks and getting into the sport! My son and I have just started a ww kayak class that's being taught at our local ymca pool during the winter months on Wed. nights. My friend can't take the class with us because of work. Anyways, i've been researching boats a lot online lately and think i'm gonna buy LL remix kayaks for my son and me. My friend on the other hand is having a very hard time finding a boat that will fit him. He is 6'2 and 290 lbs. We are wanting river runner type boats since we are just starting out and probably gonna take a couple years of learning before we build up to tring some class 4/5 creek stuff. What boat do you guys recommend for my 290 lb friend?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
The Remix is made in 3 sizes 59, 69 & 79. The 79 is rated up to 280 lbs...

Check out this sizing chart by Colorado Kayak Supply, Kayaks, Kayak Accessories, Gear, Fishing Equipment, Kayaking Accessory

Chart: Sizing Chart

It has all the sizing information for all the current models of Dagger, Jackson, Liquidlogic, Pyranha, Wavesport and Bliss Stick kayaks.

The Remix is a great boat for what you are looking to do, but you may want to consider something that is a little smaller, like a Jackson Fun. It is still a very beginner friendly boat, but will give you the option to surf waves and learn freestyle moves as well. IMO learning in a playboat will improve your skills faster.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jefe grand or a Jackson super hero could possibly work for your friend.

Since you're shelling out the bucks for new kayaks, I'd recommend waiting to do a few runs next year, and renting/demoing a few different styles of boats so you can find out what you really want.

Nothing worse than shelling out $2k and figuring out a couple months later that you'd rather have a free runner style boat than a river runner style boat since you'd really like to do more surfing at your local hole/wave.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
My opinion is that the jefe grande wont be big enough. Super hero, Pyranha Everest would be my choices.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I recommend a nutrition program and a membership at a crossfit gym. I am serious. At 6'2" and 290 I gotta say kayaking will be tough to learn.
Before all the skinny people jump on me let me be clear..... I have put on 20lbs since I started and have had a hard time rolling a creek boat or river run Ed with this thing in front of me.
But used boats when the time comes and turn you search away from this site and look at Boatertalk. A forum focused on the southeast US.
And get your friend on a program. I did and have never been stronger or felt better.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Tell your friend not to worry, he can still enjoy whitewater. 290 seems to be a tad under average for commercial rafting clientele...

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Jeez guys, its Christmas.....so what the guy could lose a few pounds. There is a boat out there that he can get and enjoy the water.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Love Internet judgement.... Ndamukong Suh is 6'3" and over 300, and think he is in Ok shape. Height and weight stats do not tell the whole story.

Being not is Suh shape and a bigger guy I will totally agree that better shape=better paddling and probably an easier learning curve but in no way would preclude someone from kayaking.

There are more boats than ever that fit big guys these days and most manufacturers seem to almost go up to 300 for a top end weight range in their boats.

Boats i would check out in addition to Everest (own and love it) and super hero would be:

JK Superfun
JK Villian L
JK MegaRocker
Pyranha Shiva
Pyranha fusion
LL XP series
LL Stomper
Wavesport Habitat

Pretty much any boat in the volume of 80-90 gallon range will be your best bet. Second the Boatertalk suggestion for some more local input. The more you can demo the better, comfortable at first does not mean comfortable 30 minutes later.

Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Isn't getting into ww kayaking sort of an exercise program? Kudos to him. Not many people over 40 can't use more exercise and to drop a few pounds. Catboating is a major motivator for me, and it isn't getting any easier. Have fun

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Remix XP10 is huge. Not sure of the shape (i.e., round, muscular, obese) of your friend. I'm about the same height and weight measurements and I had to put some padding in the hips of the XP10. The XP10 handles big water great. Also handled Brown's Canyon at 600 cfs really well. Versatile big boat IMO. Last summer, at about 280#, I fit very nicely in the Remix 79. Like a glove. Haven't water tested the boat, but it felt great on dry land.

Not to steal the thread, but I'm headed to Ecuador in a couple of weeks. Got a Stomper 90, a Jefe Grande, a Superhero, and a Villain lined up to possibly try out down there. It's supposed to be a class III/III+ trip. I paddle an old Vortex and the previously mentioned XP10 here in CO. I've been reading with interest all of the input here. I've always had a longer boat (old school refugee) and am interested in feedback on these shorter ones.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Shorter boats can be a blast - once you get used to going slow and turning on a dime. I'm 6'3"/250# without gear and have been paddling a JK SuperFun and other similar short river play boats for the last 10+ years. I paddled a SuperHero ('11 model) this past summer and it was a hoot - very similar feel to the SuperFun, but more volume, more forgiving on harder runs, and more room. Only downside is it turns too easy at times and that took some getting used to. Try out all four boat choices in EQ if you get the chance, you're sure to find one you prefer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
fluid kayaks have a couple of boats that i think would work, both runner/creekers. the bazooka and the big bang. the dagger nomad may work as well. being a big guy playboating is gonna be difficult, but, boo-hoo-who cares. let the kids play in the park, going out and being on the river is what its about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, he ended up buying the Remix xp10 since he said it felt and fit him the best!

Now i just gotta figure out what boat is gonna suit me the best!?? I really like the Stomper, Remix, and Nomad. I have not yet gotten to see a Mamba in person yet as my dealer sold out of the 2011's and now waiting on their 2012's to come in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts