Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing pictures of Royal Gorge for the guidebook I'm working on, and would love it if someone would get in there and take some shots.

I am not so much interested in pics of Sunshine (although I won't rule them out), I want something that more gives a feeling for being in the Gorge itself - with some water (like 1000+).

Photos that are accepted for use in the book will get the photographer a free guidebook, and also enter them in the drawing to win a new Pyranha kayak.

You can email hi-res shots (only one per email please) to [email protected]

More on the book at The River Gypsies

Thanks!

Leland

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
well im afraid i cant help you with pictures of the gorge.

but i must say I am really looking forward to picking up a copy of your new book. the few pages you have listed already are beautiful, and a 350 page book of that style will really look top notch. i would imagine the beta will be solid, and designed for paddlers, by paddlers, and i cant wait to read the anecdotes and stories that always end up in the guidebook as well. from the work it sounds and looks like you've put into it, it really sounds like it will be a tremendous resource, as well as a great addition to any whitewater library. cant wait to read it!

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Yeti!

That's the kind of comments that keep me fired up to finish this thing. It's really hard sitting here working while I know snow is melting all over the place out west without me this year.

I'm definitely getting that itch to hold a copy of the book in my hand next year, and test it out as we drive all over the place paddling.

Leland

·
Registered
26 Posts
You could try working a deal with Brad at allaboutrivers.com, he has some good pictures on his website.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ed Hansen is a local regular gorge boater. He may have some pics. I know he has video, but not certain about good stills. I'll see if I can get him in contact with you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've got some pictures of Sunshine at about 480 cfs (Pics taken just a couple months ago in March)...I know you said that you are lookin for pics other than Sunshine and that you wanted pics with higher flows, but if you happen to need them, shoot me a message. I also have a few pics of the Royal Gorge Bridge from right above the Narrows in that flat water.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've got a bunch from Sledgehammer rapid last year on one of our trips at 4200 cfs. It was an evening run, we were at that rapid probably 7:00-7:30 pm, so the lighting is so-so, but it was the 19th of June, one of the longest days of the year.

I have the original files around here some where, but you can get the idea of what I'm talking about by looking at the lower resolutions on my webshots album, over 100 pics of Sledge there: Royal Gorge-Slegehammer Rapid pictures, photos, and videos, from kayaking on webshots

I can ID most of the boaters in the pics, the others I can find out from fellow boaters.

I've been hitting the Gorge 2-4 times a week lately. If it ever stops raining and the sun comes out, I'll take the camera and try to capture some quality shots.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was on with ed at 4200. The problem with photos is many.
1. We often run late and the light is not good.
2. Its deep in a gorge and the light is not good.
3. We are usually paddling and don't stop to take pictures
4. The narrows is visually very nice, but there is nowhere to stop.

Having said that I'm probably going to run it again on Thursday, so I'll try and get some shots for you.

Ed, you up for Thursday??

·
Registered
795 Posts
What's happenin' Leland? I try to get a couple after work runs per week in the Gorge......I'll be sure to take my camera each time and hopefully the lighting is good. I've been meaning to get a couple shots from a few angles of my favorite "river views" for quite a while now anyway.......this'll definitely be great motivation to get it done.

Do you have a deadline?

Hope to paddle with you out west sometime soon......and looking forward to your book.

Jeb

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Kevin and Jeb!

For a deadline I would say some time in the next 2-3 weeks would be great. I'm trying to wrap up 5 chapters and have them completed soon so that we can go on a summer road trip. The Colorado chapter is one of the top three most complete chapters right now, and I'm homing in on finishing it.

It's looking more and more like we're not going to get out of here for June like we'd hoped (Colorado), and like it's going to be July (Northwest) for us this summer.

Hopefully we'll get to see some of our Colorado friends on the way out or back, but I'm not holding out much hope for your snowpack to still be rocking much when July gets here.

Y'all have fun out there!

Leland

·
Registered
795 Posts
One question Leland......do you care if there are boaters in the shot or not? Some of the pics I'm thinking of wouldn't necessarily be of the bigger rapids........just incredibly beautiful Gorge pics.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'll see what Thursday brings. Me and Chris B. are meeting at 10:00 am so that the lighting will be better, and hopefully blue skies. I'll be doing a solo trip on Friday as well. I'm guessing the sun will be out one or both of those days.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It would be cool to have a paddler in the picture, but to also have it be an incredibly beautiful gorge pic, if you know what I mean....

L
I sent you a PM and an email.... I'm gonna send you a CD with the pics I took the other day, maybe a few more from later today if the weather holds.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
thanks Kevin and Jeb!
It's looking more and more like we're not going to get out of here for June like we'd hoped (Colorado), and like it's going to be July (Northwest) for us this summer.
yeah with the melt we've had this year, june may a bit disappointing. with a lot of runs across the state already blowing their loads, the "season" is already in full swing here, and by the end of this month a lot of stuff will probably be done for the year........

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yo Leland......I got some for you last week....paddled it with 56.

I'll get them sent to you........hope you like em. Lighting was decent, nice sunny afternoon/evening. It's been cloudy and kinda rainy all this week.

Jeb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts