Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my facebook feed:

Good work to the dude in the Habitat. You probably saved a life. To the swimmer, hope you heal up and re-evaluate prior to your next outing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
It's tough to see what the swimmer is doing during a lot of the video, but overall it's a good argument against the "whitewater swimmer's position" in class IV-V whitewater. Trying to keep your arms and legs out of entrapments is all well and good, but if you're swimming in heavy whitewater, your goal needs to be to swim hard to shore. For most of the narrows, your goal is to get to the right shore ASAP.

·
Registered
618 Posts
That was nasty! I know that it is hard, but please don't swim after just your second roll....swim as a last resort! Again, hind sight is 20-20, but in Class V, roll up like your life depends on it (because it just might!)!

·
Registered
64 Posts
It might just be me,but I didn't see alot of aggressive self rescue,just a bunch of "hey buddy still in your boat,come save me!".Being a solid class 4 swimmer,I know the waters cold,and it zaps your energy,but get on that belly and freakin' swim!

·
Registered
265 Posts
He could have been on shore alot faster had he swam a little. By the end I can see him being too tired to effectively swim, but for the first minute or two he had plenty of time to get to river right and out.

Bet he changes hobbies now. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
IDK, seems like something went wrong in that class IV eddy, seems to quick to be a skirt pull like it imploded from the pour over or his leg popped out of the brace. Scary long swim.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry I don't know the rapid as I not ready for the Nar. It just looked to me that when he rolled up the first time he was in an eddy that then recirced him back into the hole which makes more sense now that I know it is a stomping hole.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
That would qualify as a gnarly swim. The irony is if you drop the horizon line at the right spot at that level you can hit a flake that kicks you past the hole without even getting your skirt wet. Personally I'd rather deal with the Rigo holes than Mr. Bill. I agree it looked like maybe there was a skirt malfunction, but I've seen people pretty adept at pulling their skirts as well. I've seen some people do some impressive Olympic swimming to the right shore from that hole and that's definitely the way to go.

Personally I like the idea of leg protection and I bet those shin guards were worth their weight in gold for that swim. I guess if you don't ever plan to swim then why tie in any of your gear? Why buy float bags? You might as well strap yourself into your seat and buckle your skirt closed.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
SWIM!

Swimming in Class IV and above it is time to unlease your inner cheerleader. You need to Be Aggressive B E Agressive.

Life first and EQ second. That means "YOU" and your thought process. Exposure equals minus everything.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I was thinking the same as others about aggressively swimming. It looked like the guy/girl had many chances to roll over and aggressively swim for the side. I was afraid he/she wasn't going to let go of the helper and drag them into something.

Glad the swimmer is ok.

·
Registered
682 Posts
There's also something to be said for knowing where you are and having a plan. It seemed like he was swimming to river left in that whirling eddy at Mr. Bill, which is a one way ticket back into the hole.

But yeah, right after Mr. Hand was the big chance to bust ass to the right with everything he had. His boat was even waiting for him there. Glad it all worked out!

·
Registered
140 Posts
You guys are brutal ... We have all swimmed and made mistakes while boating..
But I know this guy was back in his boat a couple days later trying to learn from mistakes..
Give the guy a FN break ....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts