Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I glued some handles on my raft, which is an NRS hypalon boat, on Sunday. I overspread the adhesive to make sure I covered the area the handle would cover, and now I need to remove it. I've since learned that acetone doesn't work very well on the adhesive, and toluene is pretty harsh, so if I don't have to use it, I don't want to. Can anyone recommend another solvent that will remove adhesive from hypalon?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard, Myocardial Depression Factor or Mule Deer Foundation.

DMF = Dimethylformamidem, a solvent.

Personally I have never heard of working with DMF and Hypalon, but it might be great. If you try it go with a small area and a small amount. It is also a likely carcinogen and cause of birth defects - just like Toluene. So use gloves, a mask, eye protection and preferably a well ventilated area.

Also worth noting - the glue takes a few days to reach full strength, so cleaning the glue up, say 12 hours after you apply it, is a lot easier than doing it a week later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We use MEK which you can pick up at your local ACE hardware store

·
Registered
226 Posts
use the drill with wheel. using a solvent will free up the glued edges as well and your patch will suck.
I second this. I've never had good results with solvents. The wheel works great, spare yourself the exposure to the toxic chemicals.

When you do gluing in the future, I recommend only overgluing by 1/8" and applying very carefully then you don't have any cleanup work to do afterward. As Rio Jedi points out, sometimes cleaning glue after the fact screws up the work you did in the first place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts