Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious on people’s opinions of rafting alone. Doing a search seemed to bring up kayaking but didn’t find much on rafting. I have been thinking of floating the upper Colorado solo with one overnight. Never floated solo but I think it would be enjoyable. Anyone have strong opinions on it or much experience doing it themselves?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Yeah I have done it a few times. Either solo boat (with two people lots and lots of times) or just me a few times as well. It's liberating.

And of course there is no backup. I drink less and boat better when solo. No one criticizes my music choices. I do not know the section you are thinking of but with proper planning and prep it should be ok. I do carry an inReach these days but didn't when I did most of my soloing. Contemplating a solo Middle Fork right now when/if they ever open the river again. I will likely have a buddy join me as he also wants to see the bottom of the river....

·
Registered
AIREforce prototype, Lynx I, Outfitter I, Lynx III [super lynx], TBP Trinity II, RMR 13 bucket boat.
39 Posts
Had a friend named Glenn Dickensen [or maybe Dickerson ??] who lived out in Arizona, he's deceased now [story for another day] but he sent me loads of videos off him rafting solo in some pretty in water too.

I was always amazed at how much gear he carried and how secure everything seemed with his rowing frame, he made it look so easy...

I bet it's great, as I love kayaking / canoeing solo as well.

There's just something about being out in nature alone which truly appeals to me.

Reactions: Hoomalimali

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do solo trips on the regular.
I've done The Middle Fork and Main Salmon solo several times, The Klamath a couple times and The Deschutes alone more times than I can count. Probably going to do it next week.
My schedule (and permits) often don't allow for the advanced planning most people need- I decided I'd rather boat alone than not boat at all.
The risk is higher, with no backup, but I haven't been bitten- yet.

I'm sure it worries my mother, but she knows better that to try and stop me. 😎

Edit: I'm generally not TOTALLY alone...
Water Dog Sky Dog breed Carnivore

·
Super Moderator
4,324 Posts
There's a difference between going completely solo and a one-boat trip. I'll do solo whitewater trips on rivers I know well and that are somewhat crowded so that when I get to the significant rapids I can run them with someone just in case. When I'm solo, I imagine the difficulty of the rapids bumped up a notch and run with much more caution than I would if I were in a group.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
One 18' cat, just the two of us, when no one was floating the John Day years back due to flood stage and turbid water
Also, Deschutes, San Juan, Deso....as stated above, better than not going boating at all
Extra precautions, soft runs and we were much younger...great times!

Reactions: MNichols

·
Registered
172 Posts
I do solo trips on the regular.
I've done The Middle Fork and Main Salmon solo several times, The Klamath a couple times and The Deschutes alone more times than I can count. Probably going to do it next week.
My schedule (and permits) often don't allow for the advanced planning most people need- I decided I'd rather boat alone than not boat at all.
The risk is higher, with no backup, but I haven't been bitten- yet.

I'm sure it worries my mother, but she knows better that to try and stop me. 😎

Edit: I'm generally not TOTALLY alone... View attachment 69962
Good Master - 1 cooler of steak and beer for your lab.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have done single boat trips but this would be just me and my 14’ raft. Two day float. One overnight.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You'll be fine. I don't consider the upper C a remote or wilderness river run. Have you rafted the upper C before?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, main river I float. It didn’t seem unreasonable. It will be in October assuming flows hold up for a while.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One February the wife and I took 9 days to float Service Creek to Cottonwood on the John Day. One boat trip. We didn’t see anyone until right below Clarno where we passed a single tan Sotar cataraft tied up and a tent.

Three days after that we are laying over at one of the nice camps and the sun magically appears. I decide to hop in the river and rinse off some grime. Immediately after hitting the water I realize things just got real and I go into focus mode to scrub and get the heck out of there before I freeze. After 45 seconds of frantic splashing I run back onto the beach, and then for some reason I turn around to look back at the river.

Solo dude on the tan cataraft is floating by. I’m butt naked. All I could do was wave. He didn’t wave back, just turned his boat around so he was facing the other way until the next corner.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Make a float plan with someone. Ensure someone knows your gone and reasonably knows when you’re going to be back. It 100% sucks trying to figure out someones whereabouts when they’re overdue and then formulating a Search and Rescue response.

And then enjoy yourself.

I solo and solo boat but keep it really tame. I just came back from a solo boat trip with my brother in Hells Canyon. I’ve never ran Hells, but didn’t have any issues and it was a great trip. My brothers never boated or even camped in a tent. So there’s that. I knew Hells would have plenty of traffic if things got odd. I’ve soloed the Grande Ronde due to its gentler nature and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Solo trips are really important for me. I just got off a very low water Chama trip, and I feel refreshed and renewed, a good feeling at 73. I do easier rivers now that I'm older. I always have a Garmin InReach Mini attached to the back of my PFD, along with matches, firestarter, and Micropur water tabs and a 1 liter Platypus water container.
Ruby- Horsethief solo on a SUP was very fun a few years ago. Just do it, but be aware that you cannot afford to goof. Stay sober and alert, and enjoy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
On popular rivers like the Upper C which are pretty mellow and to rivers which I have floated often and feel like I know, I'll go alone. I concur with kneth that it's important for me as well and you should bring your "A" game. I recently read a post about someone flipping a raft up there and while I didn't see any details, that's why we rig to flip, even on the percieved easier floats.

From an experience standpoint, I enjoy sharing experiences with others but I fish and raft alone often because I can be in my own world on my own time for the day.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I’m sorry, but I think the fact that you have to ask this raises some concerns….. Skills?Confidence? I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but your asking complete strangers opinions about running a overpopulated flat water stretch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m sorry, but I think the fact that you have to ask this raises some concerns….. Skills?Confidence? I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but your asking complete strangers opinions about running a overpopulated flat water stretch.
I think you are asking a good question based on that information. The OP should be confident not only in their rowing skills but more importantly their ability to confidently self rescue should something go wrong.

I had also wondered if it was a river running faux paus to go alone at one point. It took me quite a few years before I felt comfortable going alone, I guess the buddy system is ingrained into me. I remember being pretty dang nervous my first time out alone, even with a bunch of people around, it just felt odd. Took a couple of trips on easier floats before I stopped thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts