Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
There is nothing too difficult about building a dory that you can not handle. If you can sand epoxy and wood you are ready to go. The hardest thing is to keep the build momentum going by doing a little bit of work each week. Eventually a boat appears.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Painting has been the trend recently. Two coats of exterior red followed by taping and the first coat of Tally Ho white accent from Kirby Paint. The paint design is certainly not traditional on this little dory. The shape reminds me of an old top water plug so that is what I did. White head, red body, and yellow eyes to follow. She will be named Bonytail after the endangered fish In the Colorado. The interior is getting a custom Kirby mix called Jungle Gray that George mixed up for me from a sample I sent in. It is a greenish gray that changes with the light. More painting ahead!
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Composite material Automotive design
Drinkware Alcoholic beverage Drink Wood Font
Wood Naval architecture Wheel Vehicle Floor
Watercraft Vehicle Boat Wood Naval architecture

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
So are your students part of a school? Like college or trade school? Or is it a school for hire like what brad does? It’s great your teaching them about these boats (maybe you could just be poaching the space?) I dunno buddy iam mosey and wanna no the skinny!?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Pinchecharlie - I teach applied design at a University. I mainly focus on topics in computer aided design, cnc machining, composites, and safety. The process of building boats is a great way to cover these areas and keep my students motivated. We typically put together a few boats a year and present them at wooden boat shows. Motivation is key, so I also allow students to select projects that are of interest to them (musical instruments, paddleboards, canoes, skis, furniture, drift trikes, etcetera). The project variety keeps It interesting for all of us.
This particular solo dory was developed to try out a modified design and document the process for a textbook I am writing on composite boat construction. The book will be done next Fall and include the plan set and a step by step photo documented build process. Thanks for the interest.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Pinchecharlie - I teach applied design at a University. I mainly focus on topics in computer aided design, cnc machining, composites, and safety. The process of building boats is a great way to cover these areas and keep my students motivated. We typically put together a few boats a year and present them at wooden boat shows. Motivation is key, so I also allow students to select projects that are of interest to them (musical instruments, paddleboards, canoes, skis, furniture, drift trikes, etcetera). The project variety keeps It interesting for all of us.
This particular solo dory was developed to try out a modified design and document the process for a textbook I am writing on composite boat construction. The book will be done next Fall and include the plan set and a step by step photo documented build process. Thanks for the interest.
Will you please let us know when the textbook is finished?? I’m sure other educators and the general public would be very interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I will post the book information after it is done for sure. It will most likely be through ebooks initially due to the page count and volume of photos.
The boat is moving along with interior paint, black stripes and eyes design. Tested out the snap on hatch seals and they fit well. Brushed on a little black detail stripe today and finished the eyes. The eye templates can be pulled off in a few days after the paint cures. Never made eyes before, so I hope it works out.
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle door Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle Tints and shades Naval architecture
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

61 - 74 of 74 Posts