Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Didn't realize you are a musician JS. I am dabbling on the ukulele, but a mandolin is probably in my future...it's one of my favorite sounds in a bluegrass band and would also be a great boat instrument.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hope you feel better soon and get back on the boat. Please share your guitar and mandolin work when you get a chance. We have recently been experimenting with solid body electric guitars from walnut and poured pigmented epoxy. Musical instruments are very rewarding to put together. My musical talent is limited but I enjoy playing what I can.

You guys are right on about the pain of opening hatches for small personal items. I am installing a hatch in the hatch on this one as an experiment. It will be a shallow box around 3 inches deep under a Beckson hatch(11.5x8). Easy access and easier to open.
Rectangle Trunk Automotive exterior Wood Auto part

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
That's a GREAT idea! Make sure it tilts back enough (or have a hold-open) when the big one is open so the weight of the inner box doesn't slam the main lid on your arm or head!
Kelly Neu had a small side captain's hatch next to her seat similar to that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I am going to take your experience and epoxy mine too. Nice way to prevent a rust streak down the hull. The little things are getting done but slowly. Hinges, hatch locks, drain pipe, and the 100 other things to complete the build. The friction hinges are nice and I am happy with the Perco latches. Paint fumes may be near.
Wood Circuit component Gas Metal Cable
Grey Wood Gadget Font Input device
Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Trunk
Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The hatch undersides have a doubler that extends out to the edge of the gutter lip and the lip receives a snap on gasket to keep out water. Pretty standard design. I may put a 1/16 inch gasket at the hatch gutter landing if water gets in.
The storage volume is quite large in this little boat with the 48 inch bottom. I think a week on the water is doable.
Just finished drilling and filling hardware holes.
Rectangle Wood Gas Electric blue Art
Brown Rectangle Wood Beige Font
Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Got the hatch box made up and glued on today. All of the hatches need a final coat of epoxy and then prep for paint. I have been putting off my final under deck fillets that need to be done soon. A bit of stretching is required to limber up for that contortion madness. Getting in is easy. Out is entirely different.
Table Wood Rectangle Tableware Serveware
Wood Gas Machine tool Machine Hardwood

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Yes, that is the snap on gasket. I have the one with the 3/8 inch diameter rubber seal that snaps onto a 1/8 inch thick lip. Finally rolled on the first exterior coat of red. A few more coats and some stripes are coming soon. It is always fun to splash on a little color and see everything coming together.
Boat Naval architecture Wood Automotive exterior Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
No I want that one lol! I have just enough talent and skill to get started but iam afraid not enough to finish! I have seen them in action and man they are fun. Iam kindov a private person and I must say you can’t row a boat like this and not get a lot of attention lol! Mt4runner and I where talking and we both think one stretched to 12-13 feet would be good for my family as we fish a lot and camp with the kid. Never enough boats lol. I’ve watched so many threads and videos I feel like I could do it ! Your boats a gem!!!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts